Starbucks Alcohol Makeover: Cheers To The Good Times!July 23rd, 2009 - 6:18 pm ICT by GD
Imagine good ol’ Central Perk with their signature regulars in ‘Friends’ seen with their all too familiar gigantic coffee cups, replaced with something a little more intensely cheerful: wine glasses and beer mugs! Well not too much of a stretch in imagination anymore, if the coffee-mogul Starbucks Corp(SBUX) manages to hit it off with it’s newest brainchild.
In it’s latest attempts to counter an increasing dip in sales and accusations of being “out of touch” with a down-on-its-luck economy thanks to it’s $4 cups of coffee, the powerhouse coffee house chain has decided to give the whole coffee-shop experience a face lift by introducing the most obvious perk-up: alcohol. As reported by CBS news correspondent Bianca Solorzano on ‘The Early Show’ yesterday, the strategy for the new Starbucks ventures would involve (for starters) three new-look coffee shops, re-modeled and renamed, scrubbed clear of the Starbucks signature logo and name, offering alcohol options of beer and wine.
The famous Starbucks logo is being replaced by a name reflective of the location or neighborhood of the shop, hoping to create an ambiance of a cozy community meeting place with a name that says ‘neighborhood-coffee shop-around-the-corner’ rather than ‘faceless, impersonal corporate chain’.
The atmosphere is supposed to be more on the artsy side, with poetry readings and music being a part of the package. The latest effort comes at a time when continual pressure from an ever increasing string of rival corporations (most recently McCafe launched by the McDonald’s Corp) and acknowledgment of an obviously unfavorable economy have prompted the abandoning of the existing status quo. Evidently the coffee kings have realized, that trading in ‘Star’ for ‘Bar’ is the surest way to bring in the ‘bucks’. Cheers to that!
- Starbucks Changes Its Logo, Mulls Product Expansion - Jan 06, 2011
- Starbucks Corp Plans "Coffee Theater" - Jun 26, 2010
- Starbucks eyes China market - Apr 03, 2012
- Now, sip a beer or wine if you don't want coffee in Starbucks - Jun 29, 2010
- Coffee Behemoth, Starbucks, To Try Out Wine And Coffee Theater - Jun 26, 2010
- Tatas sign formal pact for opening Starbucks cafes in India - Jan 30, 2012
- 'Storm in a coffee cup' over new nameless Starbucks logo - Jan 06, 2011
- New Starbucks logo 'could prove beneficial to company' - Jan 08, 2011
- Starbucks may soon serve 'well-brewed' beer, wine - Jul 18, 2009
- Starbucks debuts iPhone, BlackBerry app for faster payments - Mar 02, 2011
- Starbucks to enter India hand in hand with Tata Coffee - Jan 13, 2011
- Carly Simon sues Starbucks over her album - Oct 13, 2009
- Happy National Coffee Day! - Sep 30, 2010
- Starbucks unveils the 1.5-pint Trenta coffee cup - Jan 18, 2011
- Starbucks Corporation Launches Bigger Trenta Coffee Cups - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,