St John The Baptist’s Remains Found In Bulgaria, Archaeologists ClaimAugust 7th, 2010 - 7:02 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Aug 7, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Bulgarian archaeologists have claimed that they have discovered the remains of St John the Baptist while they were in the process of excavating the site of a fifth century monastery situated on Sveti Ivan Island in Bulgaria. Archaeologists have revealed that after the urn that was found last week beneath the basilica of the monastery, was opened on Sunday, they came across fragments of bones, skull, an arm as well as a tooth in the reliquary.
Kazimir Popkonstantinov, the archaeologists who has been leading the excavation project has revealed that he has not doubt that the relics are that of St John the Baptist as a Greek inscription was engraved on the casque which refers to June 24, the exact date when the imminent religious figure is believed to have been born. While divulging details of the excavation, Bulgarian minister Bozhidar Dimitrov stated that the relics that have been discovered are believed to be the remains of St John the Baptist and the relics turned out to be exactly the way the archaeologists had expected them to be.
Nevertheless, some experts have raised questions about the authenticity of the claims made by the Bulgarian archaeologists and have emphasized that carbon-dating techniques need to be undertaken to determine whether the relics are actually that of St John the Baptist. As of now it still remains unclear that how did the relics make its way into the island. Bozhidar Dimitrov, however, has said that the might have been donated by Constantinople’s Christian Church when the country of Bulgaria remained as a part of the Byzantine Empire.
- Archeologists claim they've located the remains of St. John the Baptist in Bulgaria - Aug 05, 2010
- John the Baptist's remains may be in 5th century Black Sea monastery - Aug 05, 2010
- Experts find new evidence supporting John the Baptist bones theory - Jun 15, 2012
- Unique 10th century Byzantine seal discovered in Bulgaria - Aug 24, 2009
- 'Vampire' skeletons discovered in Bulgaria - Jun 06, 2012
- Vampires discovered in Bulgaria - Jun 07, 2012
- Archaeologists discover over 7,500 fragments of ancient frescos in Bulgaria - Aug 14, 2009
- Buddhist relics to be housed in Orissa museum - Apr 25, 2011
- Ancient site in Pakistan found, lost and found again - Aug 25, 2011
- Rescue operation underway to save Buddhist relics from former Bin Laden camp in Afghanistan - Apr 08, 2011
- Harappan relics found in Haryana village - Apr 12, 2012
- Archaeologists discover relics of medieval saint in Bulgarian fortress - Sep 03, 2009
- Goa set to welcome Don Bosco's body relic - Aug 09, 2011
- Sri Lanka gift brings Buddha alive in Nepal - May 17, 2011
- Archaeologists discover 13th century monastery in Bulgaria - Jul 18, 2009
Tags: archaeologists, authenticity, basilica, byzantine empire, casque, constantinople, excavation project, fifth century, fragments, gina gomez, greek inscription, ivan island, john the baptist, kazimir, monastery, relics, religious figure, st john the baptist, sveti ivan, urn