Southern Japan Coast Rocked By Massive EarthquakeFebruary 7th, 2010 - 9:42 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Tokyo, Feb 7, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Several islands of Japan along the Southern coast experienced a severe earthquake on Sunday. Reportedly, the earthquake rocked at 3:10 pm local time at about 70 miles from the coast of the Japanese island of Miyakomina in the Ryuku Islands, which is at a distance of 1,800 kilometers southwest of Tokyo.
At the moment, reports indicating any kind of damage or any casualties has not been available. The intensity of the tremors can be judged from the fact that soon after the earthquake, officials issued a tsunami warning of about 1.6 feet (50 centimeters) high although the warning was retracted later. At the same time, the tremor is said to be so strong, that it could even be felt at 250 kilometers away in Taiwan, where the residents have revealed that the they could feel the buildings rattle owing to the enormous force of the earthquake. However, following the tremors the seismology center in Taiwan subsequently did not issue any immediate tsunami warning.
The Meteorological Agency of Japan has stated that the magnitude of the earthquake was 6.6 whereas the US Geological Survey has registered the intensity to be 6.4. However, the Taiwanese Seismology Center measured the magnitude of the earthquake at 6.3.
Japan is considered to be among the most earthquake prone countries across the world owing to the fact that it is located in the junction of two tectonic plates. It has been estimated that the nation experiences around 20 percent of the world’s most massive earthquakes. In the year 1995, around 6,400 people lost their lives when an earthquake of 7.2 magnitude rocked the city of Kobe.
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Massive earthquake rocks Japan, tsunami warnings issued - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 01, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- Tsunami damages northern Japan, 10 nations on alert - Mar 11, 2011
- China removes tsunami warning - Mar 12, 2011
- Strong 6.5-magnitude quake hits off Japan's Bonin Islands - Dec 23, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tsunami warning issued after powerful quake rocks Indonesia - Oct 25, 2010
Tags: casualties, centimeters, gina gomez, intensity, japan coast, japanese island, kilometers, kobe, local time, magnitude, massive earthquake, massive earthquakes, meteorological agency, ryuku islands, seismology center, southern japan, tectonic plates, tremor, tremors, us geological survey