Southampton City Council ordered to stop recording taxi conversationsJuly 25th, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Southampton, July 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Information Commissioner Christopher Graham has said that the city council should not record taxi conversations. He also added that the Southampton City Council should respect the privacy of its citizens and stop recording taxi conversations.
He however relented a bit and said that CCTV’s in taxis are okay but the recordings of the conversations should stop.
Graham said that, “By requiring taxi operators to record all conversations and images while the vehicles are in use, Southampton City Council have gone too far. We recognise the council’s desire to ensure the safety of passengers and drivers but this has to be balanced against the degree of privacy that most people would reasonably expect in the back of a taxi cab. It is only right that the privacy of drivers and passengers is respected.”
He also added that Oxford was also planning adopt a similar proposal and it would also have had breached the terms and conditions of the Data Protection Act. However thankfully the officials realized their folly and they thought again about the implementation of the scheme and they finally decided against doing so.
- British taxis to have spy cameras - Nov 16, 2011
- Oxford City Council plans to install CCTV's in taxis - Nov 16, 2011
- Mumbai cabbies say no to tobacco - May 31, 2011
- Big Brother watches: cameras in Chinese city taxi - Sep 23, 2010
- Chinese cabbies to be fined for refusals - Jan 19, 2012
- NYC cab drivers all set to wear bulletproof vests - Apr 20, 2011
- Race row in Southampton over foreign drivers' 'English Speaking Driver' flags on cabs - Feb 03, 2010
- Indian cabbie escapes robbery bid in Australia - Jun 20, 2010
- Fluent Russian must for Moscow taxi drivers - Jul 14, 2010
- Indian origin cabbies in Oz to benefit from 'late night passenger ID' proposal - Jun 25, 2010
- Banks shut door on India's all-women cab service - Sep 19, 2010
- A Bollywood-style lesson for capital's cab drivers (Feature) - May 25, 2012
- After court order on Kolkata cabs, 'alternative' arrangements planned - Mar 31, 2012
- When 50 taxi drivers in China helped an ailing colleague - Sep 08, 2012
- More than 50 NYC cabbies accused of doubling fares by fixing their meters - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: back of a taxi, cctv, citizens, conversations, data protection act, desire, folly, images, implementation, information commissioner, oxford, proposal, southampton city council, taxi cab, taxi operators, taxis