South African Police probe controversial Facebook photo figureAugust 29th, 2011 - 7:21 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Johannesburg, Aug 29 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The South African police are hunting for a person who posted a disturbing picture of a white man dressed like a hunter on the side of what seems like a dead black child on Facebook. The picture has been received with anger in the country where racial segregation is still a problem despite the fact that apartheid was officially abolished several years ago.
In the picture, the white man, looking to be in his late twenties to early thirties kneels beside the apparent lifeless body of the child with a rifle in his hands. Smiling as he took the picture, the man looks straight into the camera.
The South African police say there is no evidence that the picture is not authentic. The picture was uploaded on the famous social networking site on the 24th of June 2010 by a user identified on Facebook as Eugene Terrorblanche. It has taken the authorities more than a year to get to know about the picture because most of the users who saw the image did not raise any issue with it. The account has 590 friends on Facebook.
The picture has been criticized by several people because of the message that it sends.
Miranda Jordan of Women + Men Against Child Abuse said that, “I couldn’t believe what I was seeing … this is sickening and disgusting. Is this child hurt? Is he dead? Who would take this kind of picture? This hate image incites racism that almost all South Africans have fought so hard to eradicate.”
The police have asked for assistance to identify and track the man in the picture.
- India has the will to bring change: Desmond Tutu - Feb 09, 2012
- South African-born England all-rounder Basil D'Oliveira dead - Nov 19, 2011
- Miami face-eating cannibal Rudy Eugene said "I'm going to kill you" to the heavyweight boxer Melton Bowen - Jun 04, 2012
- Three killed in shootings near Texas A&M; University (Second lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Man jailed for vandalising Facebook pages - Mar 25, 2011
- Thousands join funeral of South African white supremacist - Apr 09, 2010
- World Cup team captains to speak out against discrimination - Jul 01, 2010
- Facebook campaign to incite race hate ahead of World Cup in South Africa - Apr 07, 2010
- Facebook's releases list of most popular 'shared' news items - Nov 30, 2011
- Vigilantes blast Facebook for failing to protect kids from paedophiles - Dec 14, 2010
- Proteas refugee case causes backlash against 'racist' Canada - Sep 02, 2009
- South Africa to celebrate Mandela's 94th birthday in style - Jun 08, 2012
- Facebook failed to reveal paedophile ring: Report - Aug 27, 2010
- Facebook Cartoon Profile Picture Campaign Stirs Controversy - Dec 06, 2010
- Man arrested for hacking Facebook accounts - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: anger, apartheid, authorities, child abuse, facebook, johannesburg, jordan, lifeless body, miranda, photo, police probe, racial segregation, racism, social networking site, south african police, south africans, thirties, white man, women men