Soccer Psychic “Paul The Octopus” Gets MemorialJanuary 21st, 2011 - 12:36 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Jan 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Paul the Octopus was once celebrated all over the world as the unlikely hero of the World Cup. The six and a half foot octopus made headlines when he began to predict the winners of the soccer games, having gamblers all over placing their bets on his choices…and winning.
But Paul passed away three months ago, and the Sea Life aquarium located in Oberhausen revealed a life sized memorial in his honor on Thursday, which features a plastic replica of the creature with his tentacles wrapped around a soccer ball. The centerpiece of the memorial is the urn which contains the cremated remains of “Paul the Octopus”, who died at the age of two and a half.
Paul would choose a mussel from two clear boxes which were decorated with the team’s flags. Whichever box he picked from was considered his choice for the win. He correctly predicted each of the World Cup Matches in Germany, which included two losses by the team. He also predicted that Spain would win over the Netherlands in the final. It is unknown whether or not he was able to foresee his own demise.
- Germany to honour Paul the Octopus with shrine - Jan 18, 2011
- World Cup oracle Paul the Octups dies - Oct 26, 2010
- Octopus Paul tips Spain for title, Germany for third - Jul 09, 2010
- Paul the Octopus' successor makes his hugely anticipated debut - Nov 07, 2010
- 'Octopus oracle' keeps perfect record - Jul 08, 2010
- Spain bids for Paul the octopus - Jul 17, 2010
- Paul the Octopus gets a memorial in Germany - Jan 21, 2011
- Octopus Paul heads for retirement after World Cup glory - Jul 12, 2010
- Spaniards want to rechristen Paul the octopus as Pablo - Jul 09, 2010
- Paul the Octupus a global superstar - Jul 08, 2010
- Germans demand killing of octopus Paul after WC semi-final defeat - Jul 08, 2010
- PETA demands release of psychic 'Octopus Paul' - Jul 10, 2010
- Paul the psychic octopus 'could transfer to Spain' after bidding war - Jul 16, 2010
- Paul the Octopus predicts England will host 2018 World Cup - Aug 20, 2010
- Paul, the octopus, to become iPhone application - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: bets, centerpiece, choices, clear boxes, demise, flags, gamblers, losses, mussel, netherlands, oberhausen, octopus, sea life aquarium, soccer ball, soccer games, tentacles, three months, unlikely hero, urn, world cup matches