Soccer Ball Sized South Dakota Hailstone Largest on RecordJuly 31st, 2010 - 2:39 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
July 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) According to the National Weather Service announcement on Friday, a giant hailstone which was eight inches in diameter and weighed what was described as “an amazing” 1.9375 was found on a South Dakota ranch near the tiny town of Vivian.
Ranch hand Leslie Scott discovered the hailstone, which he says shrank by three inches due to melting, because even though he placed it in his freezer, the storm knocked out his power, and the heat began melting the hailstone before he could get it to be measured at the weather service’s National Climate Extremes Committee, which is responsible for validating weather related claims.
A warning condition meteorologist at the National Weather Service office in Aberdeen by the name of David Hintz confirmed Scott’s claim that the hailstone was much larger at one point than it measured out to be. “Mr. Scott told me the area was littered with large hailstones and the largest had a greater diameter when he first found it,” Hintz said.
The record previously held in the US for a hailstone for weight was 1.67 pounds, and was found in Kansas 40 years ago. The previous diameter record for a hailstone in the United States was seven inches and was found in Nebraska.
- Missouri River flood could worsen - Jun 09, 2011
- Scientists develop tool to predict tsunamis, landslides - Apr 18, 2011
- Grasshopper Invasion Threat In West This Summer - Mar 30, 2010
- Some American Provinces Dread A Destructive Grasshopper Invasion In the Upcoming Summer - Mar 30, 2010
- Schools And Flights Dismissed Owing To Snow Storm Threat - Jan 12, 2011
- Storms in Chicago force 450 flight cancellations - Apr 21, 2011
- Storm damages crops worth $1.5 mn in west China - May 14, 2011
- Pineapple Express To Bring Rainfall And Strong Winds In California - Dec 18, 2010
- 1.2 mn still 'powerless' in mighty America - Jul 04, 2012
- Huge Snowstorm moving into Kansas - Oct 31, 2009
- New genetic links to impulsive behaviour found - Nov 17, 2011
- Two thirds of permafrost likely to melt by 2200 - Feb 17, 2011
- Australia floods are of 'biblical proportions' - Jan 03, 2011
- Georgians Having A Tough Time As Atlanta Experiences Heavy Snow Storm - Jan 10, 2011
- Newly discovered species of dinosaur bridges gap in dinosaur family tree - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,