Small planes collide over ArizonaSeptember 10th, 2009 - 1:38 am ICT by BNO News
COOLIDGE, Arizona (BNO NEWS) — Two small planes collided in midair near Coolidge, Arizona on Wednesday morning, officials told BNO News. One person was confirmed dead.
“We believe that a single-engine Cessna 150 and a single-engine Piper Cherokee collided in midair above Coolidge around 9.45 a.m. Wednesday,” said Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Coolidge is a small city in Pinal County, about 56 miles southeast of Phoenix.
The planes, which were both carrying two people, came down about one to two miles from each other. The Cessna crashed near the intersection of Coolidge and Jefferson. One person on board was killed in the crash, while a second person was airlifted to a local hospital.
The Piper landed safely in a field about one to two miles northeast of where the Cessna crashed. No one on board, or on the ground, was injured.
The Cessna aircraft, build in 1983, was registered to Christiansen Aviation, Inc. in Wilmington, Delaware, according to official records. The Piper aircraft, build in 1988, was registered to Oxford Airline Training Center, Inc. in Goodyear, Arizona. The identity of the victims have not yet been released.
FAA safety inspectors are en-route to both sites and are expected to arrive on scene around noon local time. Because one person died in the crash, a National Transportation Safety Board investigator will also investigate.
- Small plane crash near Lebanon, Kentucky airport kills one - Feb 24, 2010
- Three killed in US plane crash - Jul 25, 2011
- Small plane crashes in Las Vegas, casualties unknown - Sep 06, 2010
- Six feared dead after small plane crashes into the Arizona mountains - Nov 24, 2011
- Small plane crashes after take-off in South Dakota, killing 4 - Dec 10, 2011
- Two killed in US plane crash - May 10, 2010
- One dead after small plane crashes in Jefferson County, Indiana - Apr 20, 2010
- One dead in CHP plane crash near San Diego County-Imperial County border, CA - May 08, 2010
- Small plane carrying five people crashes in Lake Michigan - Jul 24, 2010
- Two men safely escape when small plane crashes south of Santa Fe, New Mexico - Aug 02, 2010
- At least one dead after small plane crashes near airport in South Carolina - Jul 20, 2010
- Four Americans killed in Bahamas plane crash - Mar 27, 2012
- Business jet crashes at airport in North Carolina, three feared killed - Mar 16, 2012
- FLASH: Small planes collide over Arizona - Sep 10, 2009
- Small plane crashes in Buckeye, Arizona; no injuries - Apr 23, 2010
Tags: airline training, aviation inc, bno, cessna 150, cessna aircraft, christiansen aviation, coolidge arizona, engine cessna, faa safety, federal aviation administration, goodyear arizona, midair, national transportation safety, national transportation safety board, piper aircraft, piper cherokee, safety inspectors, small planes, transportation safety board, wilmington delaware