Small plane crash on New York’s Long Island kills 1, injures 3October 18th, 2010 - 1:57 am ICT by BNO News
FARMINGDALE, NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) — One person was killed on Sunday and several others were seriously injured when a small plane crashed in the village of Farmingdale on Long Island, not far from New York City.
The accident happened around 9 a.m. EDT when the SIAI-Marchetti S.205 aircraft, carrying a pilot and three passengers, crashed at Conklin Street and East Carmans Road in Farmingdale, a village in Nassau County.
According to Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the small plane had taxied out for departure at Republic Airport but decided to return to the ramp before take-off. “After taxing out for the second attempt to depart, the pilot requested to remain in touch and go pattern,” Peters said.
While turning final for the first touch and go, the pilot asked for a low approach, which was approved by the tower. “At that time, while still on final, the tower asked the pilot if he was having any difficulty and the the pilot gave the tower no indication of a problem,” Peters added.
Shortly after, the plane crashed in Farmingdale, killing one person and seriously injuring the three others on board. “There was never a mayday or distress call from the pilot before the aircraft crashed,” Peters said.
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) will investigate the cause of the accident.
- Five die in Los Angeles-area plane crash - Mar 17, 2011
- Small plane crashes after take-off in South Dakota, killing 4 - Dec 10, 2011
- Six hurt after small plane crashes in western New York - Aug 02, 2010
- Small plane crashes in Buckeye, Arizona; no injuries - Apr 23, 2010
- Six feared dead after small plane crashes into the Arizona mountains - Nov 24, 2011
- Small plane crashes in southern California, kills one - Jul 28, 2010
- Plane crashes during Reno air show; at least 2 dead, 62 injured - Sep 17, 2011
- Pilot injured after small plane crashes near Lincoln County, Oklahoma airport - May 07, 2010
- Small plane crash kills two near New Albany, Indiana - May 03, 2010
- Have few flight paths over populated areas: Pakistani daily - May 19, 2012
- American dies in Guatemala plane crash - Jan 11, 2011
- One dead after small plane crashes in western Colorado - Jun 06, 2010
- Pilot dies after mid air collision in UK - Jul 05, 2011
- Two die in Groveland, California small plane crash - Feb 20, 2010
- Business jet crashes at airport in North Carolina, three feared killed - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: according to jim, bno, carmans, conklin street, distress call, faa, farmingdale new york, federal aviation administration, long island, mayday, nassau county, national transportation safety, national transportation safety board, ntsb, pilot, plane crash, ramp, siai marchetti, spokesman, transportation safety board