SkyGrabber Helped Iraqi Militants Intercept US Drone Video FeedsDecember 17th, 2009 - 7:29 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Dec.17, (THAINDIAN NEWS) After all the reports of U.S. Armed forces scoring an upper hand over the militant forces of Iraq may not be as glorious as they seem. Latest intelligence probe has revealed that hard core Iraqi militant groups secretly used a powerful software named SkyGrabber to capture video feeds live from the U.S. Predator drones. This provided them with required information for evading the assault of U.S. military operations. SkyGrabber, the software allegedly used by the militants can be bought online for $26 approximately. The insurgents succeeded in breaching the security implemented in the software system in the planes that were operated remotely.
However, the U.S. officials say there exist no proof that those militants succeeded in interfering with security plans and control of the drones. It is obvious that the insurgents got basic idea about the forthcoming missions of the army. They also came to learn about the areas surveyed by the U.S. air force. Whatever the consequences may be, this incident points out the loopholes in the security measures in USA’s remotely operated drones.
The matter came into the notice of the U.S. military intelligence when some laptops captured from the militants revealed video streams leaked from the drones. After the startling discovery, U.S. military officials and security experts are working hard to encrypt the video feed of the drones. However, it will take some time before they can understand whether the encryption has thwarted the attempts of the militants. The Obama administration may do a rethink about employing more unmanned air troops into foreign countries.
- Islamic terrorists hack into CIA Predator drones using $25.95 software - Dec 18, 2009
- Senior Haqqani leader captured in Afghanistan: NATO - Oct 01, 2011
- U.S. drone strikes kill 6 suspected militants in Pakistan - Apr 13, 2011
- Pak snubs 'impatient' US' demands for expanding areas for CIA drone operations - Nov 20, 2010
- Iraqi Insurgents Use Skygrabber To Track US Drone Videos - Dec 18, 2009
- US studying options for possible Pakistan strike: Post - May 29, 2010
- US exits key drone operations base in Pakistan: Report - Apr 23, 2011
- US aborted drone attack on Sirajuddin Haqqani in Pak over fear of civilian deaths - Feb 23, 2011
- Computer virus hits US drone station - Oct 08, 2011
- New stealth drones flew into Pakistan to see Osama house - May 18, 2011
- US unmanned Predator drones could assassinate Gaddafi: Hague - Apr 25, 2011
- US sends drones to hunt for Al Qaeda in Yemen - Nov 07, 2010
- Pak F-16 fighter jets can't target US drones: Rehman Malik - Apr 18, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban leader possibly killed in U.S. drone strike - Jan 16, 2012
- Fresh U.S. drone strikes kill 4 people in North Waziristan - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,