Six hurt after small plane crashes in western New YorkAugust 2nd, 2010 - 10:19 am ICT by BNO News
NEWFANE, NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) — Six people were injured after a small plane crashed in western New York on Sunday afternoon, local and federal officials said.
The fixed wing single-engine Cessna 185F went down in a wooded area in Newfane, a town in Niagara County, around 2.23 p.m. EDT. A total of six people were on board.
Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), said the aircraft was on a skydiving operation as it departed a private grass strip. “It didn’t clear the tree tops,” Peters said.
Local officials said the aircraft ended up about 50 feet from the runway and broke up into several pieces. The Niagara County Sheriff’s Department said one of those on board was transported to an area hospital in critical condition, while the five others were in a stable condition.
Federal records showed the 1979-build aircraft was registered to Daystar Trading & Ventures LLC based in Getzville, an ununcorporated hamlet in the town of Amherst in Erie County.
The FAA will investigate the cause of the accident.
- Small plane crashes after take-off in South Dakota, killing 4 - Dec 10, 2011
- Small plane crashes in Buckeye, Arizona; no injuries - Apr 23, 2010
- Business jet crashes at airport in North Carolina, three feared killed - Mar 16, 2012
- Small plane crash on New York's Long Island kills 1, injures 3 - Oct 18, 2010
- Three killed in US plane crash - Jul 25, 2011
- Small plane crashes near Iowa airport - Jan 17, 2010
- One dead in CHP plane crash near San Diego County-Imperial County border, CA - May 08, 2010
- Two men safely escape when small plane crashes south of Santa Fe, New Mexico - Aug 02, 2010
- One dead after small plane crashes in Jefferson County, Indiana - Apr 20, 2010
- Small planes collide over Arizona - Sep 10, 2009
- Pilot injured after small plane crashes near Lincoln County, Oklahoma airport - May 07, 2010
- One dead after small plane crashes in western Colorado - Jun 06, 2010
- Small plane carrying five people crashes in Lake Michigan - Jul 24, 2010
- FAA proposes $297,000 civil penalty against Air Mods - May 03, 2010
- Two injured after helicopter crashes in Windham County, Vermont - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: bno, critical condition, engine cessna, erie county, faa, federal aviation administration, federal officials, hamlet, newfane new york, niagara county sheriff, private grass strip, small plane crashes, spokesman, stable condition, sunday afternoon, town of amherst, tree tops, wooded area