Six dead after gunman carrying machine gun opens fire inside Dutch shopping mallApril 9th, 2011 - 8:13 pm ICT by BNO News
ALPHEN AAN DEN RIJN, NETHERLANDS (BNO NEWS) — An unidentified man carrying a machine gun opened fire inside a shopping mall in the Netherlands on early Saturday afternoon, killing at least 5 people and injuring nearly a dozen others. He then killed himself.
The shooting attack happened at around 12.15 p.m. local time at the Ridderhof mall in the town of Alphen aan de Rijn, located in the western part of the country, when the gunman opened fire at crowds of people inside.
“A man, whose identity we cannot release at this time, fired shots inside the Ridderhof,” Acting Mayor Bas Eenhoorn said during a press conference, confirming that the gunman killed five people before killing himself. “It is a disaster with huge proportions that has hit Alphen aan de Rijn.”
Eenhoorn said at least four of the injured are in an “extremely” serious condition, while five others sustained moderate injuries. Two people sustained minor injuries, although Eenhoorn indicated this number could rise.
“What happened to us in the Netherlands, on this beautiful day, is a shock to us all,” the Acting Mayor said. He confirmed the shooter was armed with at least one machine gun and said a criminal investigation had been initiated.
- Man carrying machine gun opens fire at Dutch shopping mall, 5 reported dead - Apr 09, 2011
- Seven killed in Netherlands shooting - Apr 10, 2011
- Report: Several killed after apartment blast in the Netherlands - Dec 06, 2010
- Seven killed, 15 wounded in Dutch mall shooting - Apr 10, 2011
- Wi-Fi radiation killing trees - Nov 24, 2010
- 10 killed in US cinema shooting (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Wi-fi radiation harmful to trees: Study - Nov 24, 2010
- Three killed in shooting near US varsity (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Gunman kills 11 at Rio de Janeiro school before killing self - Apr 07, 2011
- Obama denounces Sikh Gurudwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Elderly man kills 2 doctors before killing self in southwestern Germany - Mar 07, 2012
- 14 killed, 50 wounded at Batman showing in US (Fourth Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Gunman shoots two before killing himself in New Jersey (Second Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Gunman injures four in Detroit police precinct - Jan 24, 2011
- Gunman kills five, self at US skating rink - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,