Silverwood family recount their historic sailing journey on Animal PlanetNovember 11th, 2010 - 11:34 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Nov 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An adventurous family escaped death by the skin of their teeth. The family of six decided to sail around the world but when tragedy did hit, it became a race against time to save their own lives. The Silverwood family has made a book out of their adventure and their story has been added to Animal Planet’s “I Shouldn’t Be Alive” series.
When the family decided to sail around the world in 2005, little did they know that it could be the decision that will wipe out the family. The father, John Silverwood along with his wife Jean and their four children who were then aged 14, 12, 7, and 3 years boarded the 55-foot catamaran named Emerald Jane and headed for the high seas leaving their comfortable home in San Diego, California behind. They started their sail from Long Island Sound but tragedy did hit them at the French Polynesia.
Their boat did hit coral reef and John lost his leg as a result of the events that followed the collision. The family realized that their very lives were in danger when the boat they were traveling in broke apart. The family was eventually rescued and they miraculously survived the ordeal with their lives.
- Fish help coral coral reefs recover - Nov 14, 2011
- Corals reef in danger of being wiped off the face of the Earth - Feb 22, 2010
- 75 percent of world's coral reefs under threat: report - Feb 24, 2011
- Rachel and Paul Chandler set sail again - Sep 11, 2012
- Warming climate damaging reefs, impacting fish - Jul 11, 2012
- World's reef fish systems threatened by human overpopulation - Apr 06, 2011
- Scientists discover how corals fight diseases and bleaching - Aug 19, 2010
- 10 coral species may vanish within 50 years - Jan 12, 2011
- Coral reefs will survive ravages of warming: Scientists - Apr 17, 2012
- Coral reefs discovered in Mediterranean for the first time - Oct 05, 2010
- Boat made of plastic bottles completes Pacific tour - Jul 26, 2010
- Scientists unravel mystery of missing mineral - Dec 12, 2011
- Cultural relics found in South China Sea - Jul 29, 2012
- Gujarat coral reefs a virtual gold mine - Mar 27, 2011
- Fish know to avoid the spearguns - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,