Shoppers buys 50,000 Euros of wine from a duty free shop in ParisDecember 13th, 2011 - 8:21 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Paris, Dec 13 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A traveler “from the far east” spent almost 50,000 Euros for six bottles of exclusive wines at the Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. The shopper made the duty-free purchase on Friday making him the biggest spender on wine at the airport.
The previous record was held by a female traveler who was going to Africa from Paris. The unidentified woman spent 30,000 euros on three bottles of wine last April.
In the latest purchase, the traveler picked up two bottles of Petrus 1980, two bottles of Chateau Lafitte 1982 and a bottle each of Romanee Conti 1995 and Chateau Margaux 2003.
The airport noted that sales of wine rise towards the end of each year. The airport noted in a statement that shoppers “buy each year in the shops of the two Parisian airports more than a million bottles of wine and nearly 400,000 bottles of champagne.”
The airport told BBC that the sale may be due to impulse buying on the part of the customer involved. The airport also indicated that in some cases, customers place orders to have special brands and year of wines. They are mostly for special occasion.
- Fergie, Webber store their vintage wines in 1-billion pound 'Fort Knox for wines' cellar - Dec 18, 2009
- Over 200-year old bottle of wine sells for $77,000 - Feb 06, 2011
- Italy wine exports beat home consumption for first time - Apr 08, 2011
- Tablecloth that reveals pretty patterns after spilling wine - Oct 29, 2010
- Popping the cork may soon be history in France! - Jul 08, 2008
- Indian-origin entrepreneur builds wine chateau in Argentina - Sep 06, 2011
- Chinese tourists emerge as top tax-free shoppers in Europe - Feb 24, 2011
- China sees imported wine market boom - Mar 28, 2012
- Assocham sees cheerful growth for foreign liquor - Jul 04, 2012
- France's burqa ban is Britain's gain - Jul 27, 2011
- China's new millionaires buying up Britain - Jan 17, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn returns home after sex assault case - Sep 04, 2011
- Brits spend more on wine than the French - Jan 13, 2011
- Travel travails continue for snow-hit Europe - Dec 21, 2010
- Wine outperforms gold, oil - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: airports, bbc, champagne, charles de gaulle, charles de gaulle airport, chateau lafitte, chateau margaux 2003, customers place, de gaulle airport, duty free shop, far east, paris paris, petrus, romanee conti 1995, shop in paris, shoppers, special occasion, spender, unidentified woman, wines