Ship Runs Aground In Boston Harbor, Passengers EvacuatedJuly 4th, 2010 - 7:15 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Boston, July 4, (THAINDIAN NEWS) A tour boat had to be evacuated after it ran aground on a rocky ledge along the Boston Harbor on Saturday. Coast Guard officials have revealed that the incident took place around 10 a.m along the Deer Island in which around two people supposedly suffered injuries to their back and knee following the accident although the injuries were not very serious. The Coast Guard received a mayday call on Saturday morning from the 87-foot ferry named ‘Massachusetts’ after it hit rocks off the Deer Island which prompted the authorities to react immediately.
Efforts to rescue the tour ship was soon initiated and by early afternoon as many as 168 passengers as well as seven crew members were brought to safety from the ferry. Connie Terrell, who is an officer of the Coast Guard stated to the media later that the rescued passengers were deported to a pier in Hull which is at a distance of three miles from the tour ship. While divulging details about the necessary steps that were taken to rescue the ship, Winthrop Deputy Harbormaster Chuck Evans, who was present at the scene added that the workers who on board the ship were trying their level best to pump out the sinking ferry while the divers took steps to patch the gash in the hull.
The 87-foot vessel is controlled by the Massachusetts Bay Lines Inc. which has stated that the tour ship enjoys widespread popularity among people who use it for organizing VIP receptions, parties, different kinds of gatherings as well as for corporate events from time to time.
- Ship In Boston Harbor Runs Aground And Is Subsequently Emptied - Jul 04, 2010
- Four bodies found aboard sunken ship - Feb 23, 2012
- Italy's cruise ship captain 'was like a Ferrari driver' - Jan 18, 2012
- Ship runs aground off Italy - Mar 11, 2012
- Italian cruise ship adrift off Seychelles after fire - Feb 28, 2012
- 200 Indians passengers of capsized Italian liner returning - Jan 19, 2012
- 16 die as Iranian boat sinks - Jan 22, 2012
- Four dead, 21 missing in new Philippine ferry sinking - Dec 27, 2009
- Italian cruise ship captain detained - Jan 15, 2012
- Two killed as ship runs aground off Italy - Jan 14, 2012
- One Indian crew member missing in Italian ship capsize - Jan 16, 2012
- 130 Indians saved from Italian shipwreck, control room set up - Jan 16, 2012
- Captain blamed for Italy cruise ship accident - Jan 17, 2012
- People saved from burning ship off Turkey - Aug 04, 2012
- Ferry with 250 people sinks off Tanzania - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: boston harbor, chuck evans, coast guard officials, crew members, deer island, different kinds, early afternoon, foot ferry, foot vessel, gatherings, gina gomez, harbormaster, massachusetts bay, necessary steps, rocky ledge, saturday morning, tour boat, tour ship, vip receptions, winthrop