Sheep rustling is on the rise in UKOctober 4th, 2011 - 8:08 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Oct 4 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Farmers in Britain and Scotland are being forced to count their losses after the incidents of sheep rustling rose by more than 80 percent. The first eight months of the year saw more than 30,000 sheep stolen from the United Kingdom. It is believed that the criminals sell the meat at the international black market.
Police in the United Kingdom suspect that organized crime gangs may be behind the latest cases. The thieves mostly target remote farms and the authorities say they suspect that animals are carried into bigger trucks.
In an instance, an entire flock worth £100,000 was stolen from a farm in Lincolnshire last month. The police say about 1,500 sheep were stolen from the farm and the meat could end up in the market. Authorities say the theft was the biggest in the United Kingdom in a quarter of a century.
Louth CID’s DC Nick Jones told reporters that, “This is clearly a very organised crime that would have involved a number of people and the use of two 3-tier articulated transporters.”
Sheep rustling is turning out to be very expensive to the farmers in Britain. It is estimated that the farmers lose about £1.5 million every year because of the thefts.
- Cases of Sheep rustling are on the rise - Oct 04, 2011
- Stolen forklift used to rob ATM - Apr 06, 2011
- Online Wimpole farm wants players - May 05, 2011
- Thieves break into prison to steal cigarettes - Nov 22, 2011
- Emu eggs being stolen from the Alabama zoo - Mar 18, 2011
- Meat of cloned cow offspring enters British food chain - Aug 04, 2010
- US copper thieves steal sword at Abraham Lincoln's tomb - Nov 14, 2011
- Thieves target reporters covering Guatemalan president - Mar 17, 2012
- Diamonds worth millions stolen from Swiss fair - Apr 01, 2011
- A sheep farm vs Kashmir's dwindling Hanguls (With Images) - Feb 28, 2012
- Car, motorbike thefts rampant in Mizoram, Tripura - Oct 15, 2011
- 200 war criminals wander on British streets - May 09, 2012
- The 1992 Honda Accord Is The Favorite Target Of Car Thieves - Sep 21, 2010
- Two vehicle thieves held in Delhi - Mar 07, 2011
- Picasso, most stolen artist - Jan 29, 2012
Tags: 5 million, animals, crime gangs, criminals, eight months, farmers, flock, lincolnshire, losses, market authorities, months of the year, nick jones, organized crime, scotland, sheep, thieves, transporters, trucks, uk london, united kingdom