Shaker Masri: Chicago Man Linked to Al Qaeda Terror PlotAugust 5th, 2010 - 10:50 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Aug 5 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A man in Chicago, Illinois has been charged by federal prosecutors for allegedly trying to provide support for two known terrorist organizations known as Al Qaeda and Al Shabaab, and received an additional charge which was related to weapons of mass destruction.
Twenty six year old Shaker Masri was reportedly helping these to organizations for a period of time before he was arrested for the crimes. The officials charges state he broke the laws which say that a US National cannot “using, threatening, attempting or conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction outside of the United States.”
Masri was taken into custody on Tuesday and the charges were placed on Wednesday, after the allegations had came over the course of several weeks. He was working for a non profit organization which is said to translate the Quran into English. The police reports state that he was clearly trying to help the terrorist groups obtain weapons and money for their objective.
Masri held a conversation with someone who in a confidential source for the federal investigators. During the course of talking with the source, he stated that he “wanted to participate in jihad” which means he wanted to be in the religious war. He was said to have longed to be involved in the ongoing wars which have affected Somalia and Afghanistan.
Al Shabaab is not as well known as Al Qaeda. It is a terrorist group of Islamic extremist in Somalia.
Masri reportedly started sharing his desire to be a pat of the terrorism in 2009, and his friends say that his views grew increasingly violent. He has been on a watch list ever then, and was recently planning a trip to the country to meet with officials to be a part of a suicide attack to target “infidels”.
- Chicago Man Charged Of Terror Links With Al Qaida - Aug 05, 2010
- Chicago man held on terror charges - Aug 05, 2010
- Chicago Man Charged With Plotting To Aid Terrorist Group Al-Qaida - Aug 05, 2010
- Obama bans Somalia charcoal import - Jul 21, 2012
- US worried about Americans helping foreign terrorists - Aug 06, 2010
- European security experts fear al-Qaeda wings expanded to Uganda - Sep 21, 2010
- Uganda issues terror alert on Al Qaeda-linked group - Aug 04, 2011
- Zazi cohort pleads guilty to hatching New York subway bombing plot - Apr 24, 2010
- 'The American' leading al Qaeda in Somalia awaits terrorism charges back home - Sep 05, 2009
- Former US soldier held for trying to join terror outfit - Jan 11, 2012
- Two American men plead guilty to terrorism conspiracy charge - Mar 04, 2011
- I don't regret Iraq war, says Condoleezza Rice - Jan 21, 2011
- US says backing Kenya's military operation in Somalia - Oct 28, 2011
- At least 32 dead, including MPs, after hotel attack in Somalia - Aug 25, 2010
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
Tags: chicago illinois, chicago man, confidential source, conversation with someone, federal investigators, federal prosecutors, infidels, islamic extremist, jihad, masri, planning a trip, quran, religious war, suicide attack, terror plot, terrorist group, terrorist groups, terrorist organizations, weapon of mass destruction, weapons of mass destruction