Scores injured after trains collide head-on near JohannesburgSeptember 10th, 2010 - 7:51 pm ICT by BNO News
ALRODE ALBERTON, SOUTH AFRICA (BNO NEWS) — Dozens of passengers were injured when two trains, one of them a passenger train, collided head-on in a town near Johannesburg on Friday morning, emergency officials said.
The accident happened near a Metro rail train station in the town of Alrode Alberton, not far from Johannesburg, said Netcare 911 spokesman Chris Botha. He said a total of 56 people were on the passenger train when the collision happened.
Botha said the accident involved a passenger train and a freight train which collided head-on, derailing at least several carriages. A photograph of the scene showed at least one carriage that had been completely thrown from the tracks.
A total of 31 people were injured when emergency workers arrived at the scene, including fourteen people who sustained serious injuries. Seventeen others escaped with only minor injuries.
“Miraculously, the rest of the passengers were uninjured in this horrific accident,” Botha added. “Medics stabilized the injured on scene and then transported them to various hospitals for further treatment.”
The cause of the accident is under investigation.
- Dozens injured after trains crash near Johannesburg - official - Sep 10, 2010
- Nearly 100 injured in South Africa train crash - Jan 15, 2011
- 30 people killed in head-on collision in South Africa - Dec 11, 2011
- Train crash in South Africa kills 1, injures more than 80 - Apr 08, 2011
- Scores injured when taxi overturns in South Africa - Dec 29, 2010
- One dead, twenty injured in South Africa bus-taxi crash - Dec 20, 2010
- Train crash in South Africa injures more than 850 - May 20, 2011
- Train derailment in central Poland kills 1, injures dozens - Aug 13, 2011
- Six killed as trains collide in Poland (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Six killed in Poland train collision - Mar 04, 2012
- Nine killed in China road accident - Aug 17, 2012
- 17 dead, 40 hurt in Ecuador accident - Apr 14, 2011
- At least 18 dead, many injured in Belgian train crash - Feb 16, 2010
- At least 12 dead, many injured in Belgian train crash - Feb 15, 2010
- Bus accident in northern Pakistan kills 6, injures 23 - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: alberton south africa, bno, carriages, emergency officials, emergency workers, freight train, friday morning, horrific accident, johannesburg, medics, metro rail, minor injuries, netcare 911, news dozens, passenger train, photograph, rail train, spokesman, train station, two trains