Schoolteacher’s pay linked to student’s performanceNovember 9th, 2009 - 8:02 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Illinois, Nov 9 (THAINDIAN NEWS) In a very radical step, teachers in Evanston- Skokie School District 65 will be evaluated and their pay will be decided on the results of their students.
In an innovative measure the district has started tracking the test scores of students, classroom by classroom, and measuring their progress. The student’s good progress will be directly linked to their teacher’s pay-hikes.
Many people are in favor of data-driven teacher evaluations and many criticize it too, but only time will tell how successful it is. “I think it’s coming,” said Audrey Soglin, executive director of the Illinois Education Association. “In what form, in what shape, remains to be seen. We want to be at the table to help frame it.”
The model of student achievement has been used to evaluate schools, from a long time. But this is indeed a radical step in which the educational systems have started collaborating the results to individual teachers. But at the same time, some critics have been hoping for a change, like the New Teacher Project, a Brooklyn, which is a NY based nonprofit organization that aims to raise the bar for the overall quality of a teacher.
“In a world where teachers are treated as though one is as good as another, you don’t evaluate them in a thoughtful way, and you probably won’t get to the next step — an intervention to get (underachievers) to a satisfactory level,” Dan Weisberg said.
- Wyoming legislature may put cameras in classrooms - Jan 26, 2011
- 95 percent schools lack RTE infrastructure - Apr 08, 2012
- Britain prepares to discipline schoolchildren - Sep 02, 2011
- Sibal advocates higher pay for teachers (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Sibal praises Bihar for spreading education - Jul 04, 2011
- Assam, Microsoft in learning enhancement pact - Jun 13, 2012
- iPads could replace books in China school - Apr 03, 2012
- Haryana proposes teacher evaluation - Jul 18, 2011
- British teachers to be paid for performance? - May 01, 2012
- Confident teachers help pre-schoolers learn more - Jun 08, 2010
- China bars teachers from using harsh words - Dec 13, 2011
- Student barred from exam dies - Sep 03, 2012
- Intel India unveils plan to groom innovators - Feb 29, 2012
- Genetic factors influence how well students take advantage of education - Feb 03, 2011
- Social and emotional learning programs boost students' skills - Feb 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,