Saudi King Abdullah names Prince Naif crown princeOctober 28th, 2011 - 8:00 pm ICT by BNO News
RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA (BNO NEWS) — Saudi Arabian King Abdullah on Thursday appointed Prince Naif as the crown prince and deputy premier following the death of Crown Prince Sultan Abdul Aziz al Saud.
King Abdullah chose Prince Naif after he held a meeting with the Chief and members of the Allegiance-Pledge Commission at his palace in Riyadh, the capital and largest city of Saudi Arabia. He instructed princes to pledge allegiance to Prince Naif.
The Royal Court later made the announcement in a statement, saying King Abdullah had chosen Prince Naif to become the new crown prince. He was also appointed deputy premier and will continue to serve as interior minister.
Prince Naif’s political career began as deputy governor of Riyadh. He later became the region’s governor in 1953 and during the lifetime of King Abdul Aziz, the founder of the Saudi Kingdom. Naif, the 23rd son of King Abdul Aziz, also served as Deputy Interior Ministry from 1954 to 1970 and Interior Minister since 2009.
On Saturday, Crown Prince Aziz al Saud died at a hospital in New York City at the age of 83. A brief statement from the Saudi Arabian government said Aziz al Saud died after suffering from an illness, but gave no specific details. He had been diagnosed with colon cancer in 2004, causing him to undergo a series of corrective surgeries, including one to remove an intestinal polyp.
Aziz al Saud, who was born in Riyadh, then part of the Kingdom of Nejd and Hejaz, in 1928, served as Saudi Arabia’s First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense and Aviation. He became Crown Prince and Deputy Prime Minister in August 2005 after the death of King Fahd.
- Saudi King Abdullah names Prince Salman crown prince - Jun 20, 2012
- Saudi prince's funeral to be held in Mecca - Jun 17, 2012
- India PM condoles Saudi prince's death - Jun 17, 2012
- Saudi king names new defence minister - Nov 06, 2011
- Saudi prince's funeral services held in Mecca (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Saudi crown prince passes away in Geneva (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Saudi king chooses new crown prince, interior minister - Jun 18, 2012
- Salman Khurshid arrives for Saudi Arabian prince's funeral - Jun 17, 2012
- Saudi crown prince,78, dies in Geneva (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- UAE mourns death of Saudi crown prince - Jun 16, 2012
- UAE leaders greet new Saudi crown prince - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistan PM leaves for Saudi Arabia - Jul 15, 2012
- Unprecedented welcome for PM in Saudi Arabia (Night Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Saudi defence minister dead (Lead) - Oct 22, 2011
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh gets unprecedented reception in Riyadh - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: al saud, bno, colon cancer, corrective surgeries, crown prince sultan, deputy governor, deputy prime minister, hejaz, interior minister, king fahd, minister of defense, nejd, new crown, pledge allegiance, polyp, riyadh saudi arabia, saudi arabian government, saudi king abdullah, saudi kingdom, sultan abdul aziz