Sarah Palin’s e-mail hacker sentenced to 1 year and 1 day in prisonNovember 13th, 2010 - 12:11 am ICT by BNO News
KNOXVILLE, TENNESSEE(BNO NEWS) — A Former University of Tennessee student has been sentenced to one year and one day in prison for hacking into Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin’s email, prosecutors said Friday.
David Kernell, 22, was arrested in 2008, during the U.S. presidential elections in which Palin was the Republican Vice Presidential candidate.
Kernell was found guilty of obstruction of justice and unauthorized access to a computer, but was acquitted on a charge of wire fraud.
While defense attorney Wade Davies pushed for probation, arguing that Kernell used publicly available information to guess his way into the e-mail in a prank, Palin had previously stated that an “illegal action like this” is not a prank, considering its impact during a presidential election.
Using search engines to find Palin’s personal information to answer security questions in her email’s forgotten password recovery section, Kernell was able to change Palin’s email password and post it online for others to enter and view the account.
The federal judge recommended Kernell serve his prison term at the Midway Rehabilitation Center in Knoxville, but the Federal Bureau of Prison will later determine the final decision. In addition, Kernell will be serving three years of probation.
- Sarah Palin e-mail hacker gets one year in jail - Nov 13, 2010
- Verdict In Deadlock In Sarah Palin Hacking Case - Apr 30, 2010
- Palin's e-mail hacker starts prison term - Jan 14, 2011
- Student found guilty of hacking Sarah Palin's e-mail account - May 01, 2010
- Sarah Palin's e-mail hacker convicted - May 01, 2010
- Sarah Palin to testify in a Knoxville court - Apr 21, 2010
- Three Verdicts Established In The Case Of The Hacking Of Sarah Palin's Email - Apr 30, 2010
- Defendant In Sarah Palin Hacking Case Considers Testifying - Apr 26, 2010
- Palins e-mail account hacker faces three fresh charges - Mar 10, 2009
- Hacker says it was easy to break into Palin''s e-mail - Sep 20, 2008
- Sarah Palin denies that her bus tour has been canceled - Jun 23, 2011
- Sarah Palin accused of being a 'paranoid' woman - Feb 23, 2011
- FBI serves warrant to Democrats son over hacking of Palins e-mail - Sep 23, 2008
- Palin yet to begin 2012 presidential run - Jan 27, 2011
- Palin launches website to interact with supporters ahead of 2012 presidential polls - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: alaska governor sarah palin, bno, defense attorney, e mail, email password, federal bureau of prison, governor sarah palin, illegal action, kernell, knoxville tennessee, mail hacker, obstruction of justice, presidential elections, prison term, rehabilitation center, sarah palin, search engines, security questions, university of tennessee, wire fraud