SantaCon 2010 Pumps Up The Christmas Spirit In New YorkDecember 12th, 2010 - 7:58 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
New York, Dec 12, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Christmas is round the corner and that marks the beginning of a number of winter excitements and delights for the citizens of United States. New York is one of those places that witnessed the 16th annual SantaCon convention on Saturday, Dec. 11. It was like a fun filled carnival that delighted every New Yorker and pumped up the Christmas mood in an entertaining way.
The New Yorkers, sporting the costume of Santa Claus, sang across the city in a jovial mood, distributing unusual gifts and delights. All those who wanted to look different, dressed themselves up in the costume of other folklore characters like Reindeer and Mrs. Clause, to participate in the event. Many of them even wrapped themselves in colorful gift papers and acted like Christmas gifts to entertain the passer byes. The event had eleven meeting places in New York, that included the most happening spots like Brooklyn Bridge Park, Market Street and the American Museum of Natural History. The participants were asked to get two non perishable food items for food drives, that accompanied the event. The official website of the event stated that SantaCon had no commercial, political or “sensical” bias and was meant purely for fun. The participant were requested to keep the event free of nuisances like theft, violence, harassments or vandalism, so that the event runs peacefully.
According to the tradition, the event ended with the Santas visiting the pubs and cheering each other for a safe drinking session. Recently, the SantaCon has become a worldwide event and is celebrated in 178 locations in 24 countries. It aims to play with the archetypal image of Santa and have a lot of fun before the Christmas.
- SantaCon 2010 Taking Place Today At New York City - Dec 11, 2010
- 'Arthur Christmas' - Rekindles Christmas spirit (IANS Movie Review) - Jan 14, 2012
- Santa makes an epic journey - to Nepal - Dec 22, 2010
- Kids in Greece ask Santa for jobs for parents - Dec 24, 2011
- 'Scrooge' teacher reined in over Santa gaffe - Dec 05, 2011
- Children celebrate advent of Christmas in Kolkata - Dec 20, 2010
- In exotic Santa land, for that adrenaline rush and peace (Travel Feature with Images) - Aug 19, 2012
- On Christmas, Delhi feels one - Dec 25, 2011
- Christmas carols, cakes and gifts, it's merrymaking in Delhi! - Dec 25, 2010
- Wining, dining and a lot more on X-mas (With Images) - Dec 21, 2011
- Santa's holiday wish-fulfillment op 'driven by technology, not magic' - Dec 05, 2010
- Easter with largest egg weighing over a ton - Apr 15, 2012
- Guwahati hosts Christmas cake festival - Dec 22, 2010
- Google's New Doodle Consists Of 17 Images - Dec 24, 2010
- Bhopal children dress as Santa to spread environment awareness - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: american museum of natural history, archetypal image, bridge park, brooklyn bridge, christmas gifts, christmas mood, christmas spirit, colorful gift, drinking session, food drives, jovial mood, kar new, meeting places, mrs clause, museum of natural history, new york dec, non perishable food, non perishable food items, unusual gifts, worldwide event