Santa Barbara Beaches Closed After Lucas Ransom’s DeathOctober 25th, 2010 - 1:58 am ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Oct 24, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The authorities in Santa Barbara county of California closed three beaches after a huge shark attacked and killed a young body-surfer. The 19-year-old teenager Lucas Ransom was attacked by the shark and it dragged him underwater in a few seconds when he was surfing with his friend. The shark cut off a huge chunk of his left leg and he died shortly owing to the injuries. Matthew Garcia, a friend of the unfortunate teenager later said that neither he nor his friend could apprehend that danger was lurking below the water and it would strike in such a stealthy manner. He recalled his friend shouting “Help me dude” before the shark dragged him underwater. The creature was most probably a Great White shark.
The beaches will remain closed for 3 days after the accident. Lucas Ransom could have survived as the wound was not serious. However, a large part of his leg was bitten off by the shark and the loss of blood was fatal. Matthew Garcia tried to revive his friend and gave him chest compressions but even before they could reach the shore his friend was dead. A part of the bodyboard Lucas Ransom was using was also bitten off by the large shark that attacked him.
Needless to say the mother of the boy, Candace Ransom was shell shocked to know that her son was no more. Even a few minutes before the incident, the boy had called up his mother on her cellphone. The shark experts are of the opinion that sharks do not prefer the human over other animals as prey. However, they sometimes mistake swimming men or women as seals and attack them.
- Matthew Garcia Recall His Pal's Demise - Oct 25, 2010
- Lucas Ransom's Mother Remembers Her Dead Son - Oct 23, 2010
- Shark kills surfer at Australian beach - Sep 04, 2011
- Boy Killed In Shark Attack At Santa Barbara - Oct 23, 2010
- Matthew Garcia Hears Plea For Help But Fails To Save Friend's Life - Oct 25, 2010
- South African beach dubbed world's deadliest - Jan 16, 2012
- Surfer falls into shark jaws - Mar 22, 2012
- Surfer Stephen King has a lucky escape from shark attack - Dec 12, 2011
- Poke sharks in eyes if attacked: Russian officials - Aug 19, 2011
- British man loses legs to great white after ignoring warnings - Sep 29, 2011
- Man needs 300 stitches after shark attack - Jul 27, 2010
- Shark attacks fisherman in Riviera Beach, Florida - Feb 07, 2010
- Dog bites shark in Australia - Jul 22, 2011
- Four tourists mauled by shark at Egyptian resort - Dec 02, 2010
- New Zealand girl, 14, beats off shark attack - Feb 02, 2010
Tags: authorities, bodyboard, candace, cellphone, chest compressions, chunk, few minutes, great white shark, left leg, loss of blood, prey, ranjan, ransom, santa barbara beaches, santa barbara county, seals, shark experts, sharks, teenager, white shark