Russian passenger plane in ‘miracle’ crash landing after total power failureSeptember 9th, 2010 - 2:18 am ICT by BNO News
MOSCOW (BNO NEWS) — Russian pilots successfully made an emergency landing in Taiga forrest, saving the lives of 81 people, and causing minimum damage to the aircraft.
The Tu-154 aircraft belonging to Alrosa Airlines was dealing with failed flight control and navigation and radio communication systems, as the aircraft’s electrical generating system crashed, forcing pilots Evgeny Novoselov and Andrey Lamonov to manage and land the plane manually.
On their third attempt with a failed maneuvering system, no aircraft-to-ground communication, and no air brakes, the pilots led the aircraft into the woods as a nearby grassy landing strip was too short for the plane. The plane descended, chopping tree tops and a 200-meter-long swath through the forest until making its final halt when the aircraft’s landing gear jammed in a marsh.
Local firefighters arrived at the scene, helping people out with inflatable escape chutes. The plane was carrying 72 passengers and 9 crew members, who all safely exited the aircraft.
An investigation is underway to determine what caused the accident. Alrosa Airlines, however, found the plane technically sound and is already seeking permission to place the plane back into operation if no failures are discovered.
- Plane makes emergency landing in Russia - Sep 07, 2010
- Two die as plane crashes into lagoon - Mar 16, 2012
- Coffee spill diverts United Airlines flight - Jan 06, 2011
- Fighter jets intercept two small planes in Obama's airspace - Aug 07, 2012
- Plane makes emergency landing in Poland - Nov 02, 2011
- Russian plane with 116 on board makes emergency landing - Jul 02, 2011
- Russia to spend $280 mn on new planes for Kremlin - Jan 20, 2012
- Pakistan grounds all private jets for checks - Apr 24, 2012
- Two Russian planes make emergency landing - Jul 29, 2011
- Pilots hailed as heroes for emergency landing in Hong Kong - Apr 14, 2010
- Six dead in southern Russia plane crash - Mar 06, 2011
- Coffee Spill Diverts United Airlines Flight, Triggers Hijacking Alert - Jan 06, 2011
- Spanish plane hijacking report denied - Aug 30, 2012
- 44 die in Russia plane crash (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Snake in flight grounds plane - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: air brakes, bno, chopping tree, crash landing, emergency landing, flight control, generating system, grassy landing, ground communication, landing strip, maneuvering system, passenger plane, power failure, radio communication systems, russian passenger, russian pilots, taiga, third attempt, tree tops, tu 154