Russian helicopter crashes in southwestern Turkey, killing 5August 12th, 2012 - 1:14 am ICT by BNO News
KÖYCEĞIZ, TURKEY (BNO NEWS) — A Russian helicopter participating in an operation to extinguish wildfires crashed in southwestern Turkey on Thursday, killing three Russian citizens and two Turkish citizens, the owner of the aircraft said on Friday. There were no survivors.
The accident happened at around 4 p.m. local time when the Kamov Ka-32 helicopter crashed and rolled down a ravine in a mountainous region near Köyceğiz, a town in the province of Muğla in Turkey’s Aegean region. There were five crew members on board the aircraft, which can be used for both military and civilian purposes.
“The helicopter was performing operations against forest fires in Turkey in difficult mountain conditions,” said a spokesperson for the Nefteugansk United Airline Transportation Company, the Russian company which owned the aircraft. “During a flight the aircraft collided with a mountain slope, fell down and burned. According to the information received, all aboard the helicopter were killed.”
Authorities said the aircraft was carrying two Turkish citizens and three Russian citizens. The Turkish government identified the Turkish victims as pilot Atıf Ateşok and forest conservation worker Orhan Çelik. The Russian company identified the Russian victims as crew members Alexander Gavrilov, Nikolai Atepalikhin and Sergei Khorokhorin.
The cause of the accident was not immediately known.
- Five killed in Turkey chopper crash - Aug 10, 2012
- Helicopter crashes in eastern Romania, killing 5 Ukrainians - Apr 27, 2012
- Fighter jet crashes in central Turkey, killing pilot - Mar 14, 2012
- Russian firefighting plane to help Serbia - Aug 26, 2012
- NATO chopper crash kills 14 near Kabul (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- People saved from burning ship off Turkey - Aug 04, 2012
- Turkish military helicopter crashes in Kabul, killing 16 - Mar 18, 2012
- Four killed in combat chopper crash in Russia - Sep 09, 2012
- Nine survive military helicopter crash in Colombia - Dec 05, 2011
- Helicopter crashes in Belarus, killing 5 people - Oct 21, 2011
- Helicopter crash in south-central Indonesia kills 2 - Sep 26, 2011
- Four killed in Turkish military helicopter crash - Jul 23, 2012
- Four U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan helicopter crash - Apr 21, 2012
- Russian plane carrying 44 people goes missing near Jakarta - May 09, 2012
- Russian army helicopter crashes - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: aegean region, airline transportation, bno, civilian purposes, forest conservation, forest fires, gavrilov, helicopter crashes, kamov ka, mountain slope, mountainous region, orhan, russian citizens, russian company, russian helicopter, russian victims, southwestern turkey, turkish citizens, turkish government, united airline