Russia switches on missile detection radarNovember 30th, 2011 - 9:23 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Moscow, Nov 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Russia has turned its missile detection radar on in response to US and NATO’s effort to install missile shield in Europe. Russian President Dmitry Medvedev was in the Baltic region’s Kaliningrad town where he personally ordered for the radar to be switched on.
Russia has always objected to the US missile shield plan which is expected to be completed by 2020. The country has threatened on previous occasions that they may take steps to ensure their interest. During a speech at his visit to Kaliningrad, Medvedev warned that the response was Russia’s first to the United States and NATO.
He was reported by the Russian media as saying that, “If our signal is ignored… we will deploy other means of defense including the adoption of tough counter-measures and the deployment of a strike group.”
He warned that the country will take further steps if the initial warning is ignored. NATO and the United States have always maintained that the missile shield system is for threats outside Europe from countries like Iran.
The Russian military say the Voronezh DM radar system has the range of 6,000km which is enough to cover the entire European continent.
Some political analysts say Medvedev’s threats are political ahead of the presidential polls that comes up next year.
- US says missile defence system no threat to Russia - Nov 24, 2011
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- Russia outlines its vision of European missile shield - Apr 29, 2011
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- Russia scraps Kaliningrad missile plan - Sep 19, 2009
- Russia turns on new missile warning radar - May 23, 2012
- Russia threatens to stop missile defence cooperation with US - Oct 06, 2011
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Spain to host elements of NATO anti-missile shield - Oct 06, 2011
- Russia to deploy first-strike nuke missiles if NATO fails to respond on AMD system - Jan 25, 2011
- Russia warns NATO against missile defence buildup - Sep 01, 2011
Tags: adoption, baltic region, counter measures, deployment, dmitry medvedev, european continent, kaliningrad, missile detection, moscow, nato, news russia, occasions, political analysts, presidential polls, radar system, russian media, russian president, strike group, us missile shield, voronezh