Rupert and James Murdoch appear before Britain’s Parliamentary Culture CommitteeJuly 19th, 2011 - 10:41 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, July 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Rupert and John Murdoch appeared before Britain’s Parliamentary Culture committee on Tuesday. The appearance of the two has to do with the phone hacking scandal that rocked the media empire of the Murdoch family.
The event is being aired live by several of the world’s top news broadcasters including Murdoch’s own FOX News in the United States. Rupert and James’s hearing began at exactly 9:36am.
James apologized to the House and the people of Britain for the scandal. 80-year-old Rupert asked to be given the chance to speak at the beginning of the hearing. When he was asked to pour it out, Rupert said that, “I would like to say just one sentence. This is the most humble day of my life.”
James was the first to deny any knowledge of phone hacking in the family’s media empire. When he was asked if the scandal was the event that forced Rebekah Brooks and Les Hinton to quit their job with News International, James said that, “I have no knowledge and there is no evidence that I’m aware of that Ms. Brooks or Mr. Hinton had knowledge of these things.”
Rupert also denied any knowledge of phone hacking in his empire adding that his media empire employs 53,000 people. He said the closed News of the World newspaper only accounts for less than a percentage of the media empire that he owns.
The hearing continues.
- Rebekah Brooks appears before the British Parliamentary Committee - Jul 20, 2011
- Rupert Murdoch to appear in court - Jul 19, 2011
- 'Humbled' Murdoch denies responsibility for phone hacking (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Man attacks Rupert Murdoch during hearing - Jul 20, 2011
- News International acted decisively in phone hacking case: Brooks - Jul 20, 2011
- Rebekah Brooks terms phone hacking 'abhorrent' (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Rebekah Brooks arrested? - Jul 17, 2011
- News International CEO Rebekah Brooks quits (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Murdoch admits cover-up at News of the World - Apr 26, 2012
- Rebekah Brooks released on bail - Jul 18, 2011
- James Murdoch resigns from the board of News Group Newspapers - Nov 23, 2011
- James Murdoch resigns as News International chairman - Feb 29, 2012
- Rupert Murdoch's son faces MPs over phone hacking - Nov 10, 2011
- Those involved in phone hacking must be prosecuted: Cameron - Jul 13, 2011
- Rebekah Brooks resigns - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: appearance, broadcasters, culture committee, fox news, james murdoch, job, john murdoch, london, media empire, ms brooks, news international, news of the world, news of the world newspaper, phone hacking, rebekah, rupert, s media, scandal, top news, united states