Ronnie Lee Gardner Facing Execution By Firing SquadJune 18th, 2010 - 7:37 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Utah, June 18, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The preparations for the disputed execution of a convicted killer named Ronnie Lee Gardner have started in USA which is drawing a lot of media attention.
He will be executed by a firing squad and will take place in Utah. Only the Supreme Court of USA can stall the execution if the judges think so. If the execution takes place as it has been ordered, he will be strapped to chair and a hood will be put on his head. If it actually happens he will become the third person to be executed in Utah by the firing squads. As of now, Utah is the only state to retain execution by firing squad.
The method has been criticized severely by NGO and human rights group. Even a section of Catholic Church condemns it. However, Ronnie Lee Gardner has chosen this method for his execution and rejected the alternative method that is lethal injection.
He got convicted for a courthouse shooting incident involving lawyer Michael Burdell. He was earlier charged with murdering Melvyn Otterstrom, a bartender. The attorneys of the convicted killer made an appeal to the US Supreme Court hoping it may block the execution. The court earlier rejected a petition for stay on the execution.
The prisoner is said to have been calm even after knowing his fate and he has not shown any signs of grief or fear as such. His attorneys told the media that the execution method is inhuman and the court could have given the convict a life sentence instead of doling out such a punishment.
The lawyer argued earlier that the convict’s dysfunctional upbringing with a past involving parental neglect and early sexual abuse made him mentally unstable.
- Convicted killer Ronnie Lee Gardner executed by firing squad in Utah - Jun 18, 2010
- Utah Killer To Face Firing Squad Tonight (Thursday) - Jun 18, 2010
- Ronnie Lee Gardner set to be executed by firing squad early Friday in Utah - Jun 18, 2010
- Ronnie Lee Gardner, Convicted Murderer, Opts For Firing Squad Execution - Apr 24, 2010
- Utah Execution Reported With Aid Of Technology - Jun 18, 2010
- US man to be executed by firing squad - Apr 24, 2010
- Utah Killer Chooses Firing Squad Over Lethal Injection - Apr 24, 2010
- Lawyers try to halt the execution of Ronnie Lee Gardner by firing squad - Jun 18, 2010
- Jeffrey Landrigan Executed By Lethal Injection In Arizona - Oct 27, 2010
- Appeals Courthouse Repudiates A Stay For A Washingtonian Prisoner, Who Is On Death Row - Sep 07, 2010
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination: three to hang Sep 9 (Lead) - Aug 26, 2011
- SC rejects plea, Talwars vow to nail Aarushi killers (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Kasab will hang, Supreme Court says (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Plumber Melvyn Careswell jailed for tax evasion - Jul 27, 2012
- Uncle named as killer of a boy killed in 1984 - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: bartender, catholic church, convict, dysfunctional upbringing, execution by firing squad, execution method, firing squads, grief, human rights group, lee gardner, lethal injection, life sentence, media attention, ngo, parental neglect, ranjan, ronnie lee, sexual abuse, third person, us supreme court