Rome’s Trevi Fountain is ‘crumbling’June 11th, 2012 - 10:05 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Rome, June 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Baroque monument Trevi Fountain, has being inspected for damage last Monday after stone fragments broke off and fell to the ground.
The Rococo masterpiece has apparently being damaged by the snow that fell on Rome during last winter’s unusually cold spell. According to experts, the ice that fell affected the fountain in a very significant way, accentuating its cracks and fractures.
The fragments of stone fell from a cornice on the structure’s left hand side, which was immortalized in Federico Fellini’s 1960 classic film La Dolce Vita. In one of the movie’s scenes, Anita Ekberg waded into the fountain’s waters with her co-star, the Italian actor Marcello Mastroianni.
The fountain was fenced off last Monday, as workers used crane to evaluate the damage and remove a number of fragments of cornice that were about to fall, to avoid any possible danger to the city’s population and visitors who travel to the Italian capital every day.
The monument was Commissioned by Pope Clement XII in 1732. The structure features a large statue of Neptune riding a chariot pulled by two horses. The local tradition states that tossing a coin into the fountain ensures that a tourist will come back to Rome in the future.
- 'Dolce Vita' diva Ekberg appeals for help - Dec 23, 2011
- Man fined for acrobatic dives in Italian fountain - Nov 17, 2010
- Anderson bares all for 11th Playboy cover - Oct 21, 2010
- Pammie sets new 'Playboy' record - Dec 16, 2010
- 50 years on Italy's 'La Dolce Vita is just a distant memory' - Nov 06, 2010
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan: Time Is The Essence Of Timeless Beauty - Dec 16, 2010
- Rome welcomes the swimming world - Jul 22, 2009
- Italian filmmaker's book published in Arabic - Nov 03, 2010
- Georgian cinema under spotlight at IFFI 2010 - Nov 18, 2010
- Julianne Moore to be honoured for career triumph at Rome film festival - Oct 08, 2010
- Moore to be honoured at Rome film festival - Oct 08, 2010
- Soumitra Chatterjee named for Dada Saheb Phalke award (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- 95-year-old Italian film director leaps to his death - Dec 01, 2010
- Even today Ray remains alive in me: Soumitra Chatterjee (April 23 in Satyajit Ray's 20th death anniversary) - Apr 23, 2012
- Rome zoo feeds animals frozen yoghurt - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: anita ekberg, chariot, classic film, co star, cold spell, cornice, federico fellini, film la dolce vita, fractures, italian actor, italian capital, la dolce vita, last monday, last winter, marcello mastroianni, neptune, pope clement xii, stone fragments, tradition states, trevi fountain