Robbery takes places at ancient Olympia MuseumFebruary 17th, 2012 - 9:06 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Athens, Feb 17 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Greek officials have announced that armed robbers have broken into the Ancient Olympia Museum and made away with several valuable items. Police say between 60 and 70 items were stolen from the museum.
The Ancient Olympia Museum is renowned as the birthplace of modern Olympics. Officials describe the stolen items as “incalculable” explaining that two masked men overpowered a guard at the museum before making away with the items. No arrests have been made by the police so far.
The incident reportedly happened on Friday morning when the thieves broke glasses in the museum. Officials are still waiting for confirmation on the actual things that were taken away by the robbers.
Local mayor Thymios Kotzias told reporters that, “We must wait and see what the local archaeology supervisor will say, but the items were of incalculable value.”
Last month, thieves broke into the Athens National Gallery and made away with three valuable paintings. One of the paintings was that of Picasso. Greek museums are under-secured. About 1,500 guards more are needed to properly secure the various artifacts but the government is short of the required funds to hire the needed addition.
Greece is one of the worst hit EU nations following the global economic meltdown which reached its peak in 2008.
- Thieves rob Greece's Olympia museum - Feb 18, 2012
- Picasso stolen from Athens National Gallery - Jan 10, 2012
- Czech police look for stolen Picasso, Renoir paintings - Jul 12, 2012
- Picasso painting stolen from Paris museum - May 20, 2010
- Picasso painting stolen in Colombia - Oct 26, 2011
- Stolen Picasso paintings found in Serbia - Oct 08, 2011
- Over $600,000 stolen from bank on Greek island - Jul 17, 2012
- Please save Greece's monuments, say archaeologists - Mar 15, 2012
- Be true to human nature: Olympic Flame ceremonies High Priestess - Jul 18, 2012
- Picasso painting vandalised in US - Jun 20, 2012
- Sri Lanka's national museum to be re-opened after theft - Apr 17, 2012
- Picasso, most stolen artist - Jan 29, 2012
- Russia seeks 900 stolen artworks via Interpol - Dec 29, 2011
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- Van Gogh painting stolen from Cairo museum - Aug 22, 2010
Tags: ancient olympia, archaeology, armed robbers, artifacts, athens, confirmation, friday morning, global economic meltdown, greek museums, greek officials, incalculable value, modern olympics, museum officials, national gallery, olympia, olympics, paintings, picasso, robbery, thieves