Roadside bomb kills NATO soldier in southern AfghanistanMarch 27th, 2012 - 9:47 pm ICT by BNO News
KABUL, Afghanistan (BNO NEWS) — A coalition service member was killed on Tuesday when a roadside bomb exploded in southern Afghanistan, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said. Few other details were immediately released
ISAF said one of its service members was killed when an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded in Afghanistan’s south. But because the multinational force defers the release of specific details to national authorities, no other details about the incident were released, including the exact location.
The nationality of the service member involved was also not immediately disclosed by ISAF. “It is ISAF policy to defer casualty identification procedures to the relevant national authorities,” a brief statement said.
Tuesday’s death raises the number of coalition troops killed in Afghanistan so far this year to 90, most of them American and British service members, according to official figures. Two British service members and an American soldier were killed on Monday when rogue Afghan security forces opened fire at them.
A total of 566 ISAF troops were killed in Afghanistan in 2011, down from 711 in 2010. A majority of the fallen troops were American and were killed in the country’s south, which is plagued by IED attacks on troops and civilians.
There are currently more than 130,000 ISAF troops in Afghanistan, including some 90,000 U.S. troops and more than 9,500 British soldiers. U.S. President Barack Obama previously ordered a drawdown of 23,000 U.S. troops later this year, and foreign combat troops are due to leave Afghanistan by the end of 2014.
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- Injured British soldier dies 1.5 year after bomb blast in Afghanistan - Jan 04, 2012
- Insurgents kill NATO soldier in southern Afghanistan - Nov 10, 2011
- Rogue Afghan soldier kills two British troops in southern Afghanistan - Mar 26, 2012
- Bomb blast kills 5 more NATO troops in southern Afghanistan - Aug 11, 2011
- NATO helicopter crashes in southern Afghanistan, killing 11 - Aug 17, 2012
- British, Estonian troops killed in southern Afghanistan - Oct 16, 2011
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
- 3 ISAF personnel killed in eastern Afghanistan - Dec 04, 2011
- Turkish military helicopter crashes in Kabul, killing 16 - Mar 18, 2012
- Roadside bomb kills NATO soldier in eastern Afghanistan - Aug 03, 2011
- Five NATO soldiers die in Afghanistan: ISAF - Jul 31, 2011
- Wave of attacks kill seven NATO soldiers in Afghanistan - Mar 01, 2011
- Five NATO soldiers die in Afghan attacks - Jan 13, 2011
- Three American troops killed in eastern Afghanistan - Jun 01, 2011
Tags: afghanistan kabul, american soldier, barack obama, bno, coalition troops, combat troops, drawdown, exact location, explosive device, international security assistance, isaf, kabul afghanistan, multinational force, relevant national authorities, roadside bomb, s south, service member, service members, southern afghanistan, troops in afghanistan