Riot Clouds France On The Eve Of Bastille DayJuly 14th, 2009 - 8:00 pm ICT by GD
France became cordoned in a tight ring of security just hours before it was on way to celebrate the national holiday of Bastille Day. French youths had supposedly set 317 cars on fire on the streets of France, as they led the commotion through the streets. Almost 13 police officers were reported to have been injured, minor to critical, in the encounter with the riotous mob. The injured police officers are reportedly facing temporary hearing impairment because of the impact of the explosions of the home made explosives that had been blasted during the riots. On the eve of the Bastille Day, a series of riots had broke out.
Police reports suggest that almost 240 people had been arrested in connection to the riots, which is almost double the number that had been taken in to police custody on the very same day last year. This is falling in to a casual pattern with unruly riots disrupting the peace of the street every year on the eve of the Bastille Day.
The riots might have been sparked because of the death of a 21 year old Algerian youth’s death that had occurred while in police custody. His family refused to buy the story that he had died while trying to hang himself in the cell, earlier this week. The court has ordered a second autopsy to be done in order to clear all air of suspicion on the matter. Three nights of riot had followed in the southern town of Firminy, right after the incident. The reason is not very clear as of now.
The Bastille Day is a historic chapter in the history of the world as enraged mobs had taken over the fortress prison of Bastille on July 14 day in 1789 and brought down the reign of monarchy. The French Revolution had ensued following which. Keeping alive the tradition, if can be said.
- Over 300 cars torched ahead of French national day - Jul 14, 2009
- Over a dozen protesters, five securitymen injured in Kashmir - Aug 16, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir firing, toll rises to 57 (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- 8 killed in Kashmir, 6 in police firing, as Omar seeks help - Aug 03, 2010
- Bastille Day Celebrations In France - Jul 13, 2009
- Madonna may face lawsuit in France over Nazi symbol - Jun 05, 2012
- Indian Armed Forces to participate in French National Day parade - Jul 08, 2009
- Continuing violence claims five more lives in Kashmir (Third Lead) - Aug 03, 2010
- Over three dozen injured in day-long Srinagar protests (Third Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- Disappointed police job aspirants turn violent - Jul 25, 2011
- Kashmir forces learn to control mobs the non-lethal way - Mar 07, 2011
- Tears in Cairo as Algeria wins World Cup qualifier - Nov 19, 2009
- Crackdown against unruly mobikers in Srinagar - Jun 05, 2012
- Bajrangi said he felt like Rana Pratap after Naroda killings - Aug 29, 2012
- Manmohan Singh to be chief guest at French National Day - Jul 11, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,