Rights group urges Vietnam to release jailed bloggerAugust 11th, 2011 - 2:14 am ICT by BNO News
LONDON (BNO NEWS) — Amnesty International on Wednesday urged Vietnamese authorities to release a French-Vietnamese blogger who has been sentenced to three years in prison on charges of subversion.
Professor Pham Minh Hoang, a math lecturer, was accused of writing articles which “blackened the image of the country” during a trial in Ho Chi Minh City. Hoang, however, told the court that his writings were not aimed at overthrowing anyone.
Hoang, who is a member of the banned U.S.-based opposition group Viet Tan, had joined other activists in criticizing a Chinese-backed bauxite mine in Vietnam’s Central Highlands, which they believe has caused environmental degradation in the area.
”To imprison a blogger for peacefully exercising his right to freedom of expression is outrageous. The authorities should immediately release Professor Hoang, and stop their harsh crackdown on peaceful government critics and activists,” said Donna Guest, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Asia-Pacific.
“Tuesday’s sentence, and the continuing arrests of activists and bloggers paint an increasingly bleak picture of freedom of expression and association in Vietnam,” Hoang added.
Pham Minh Hoang’s family has said he will appeal against the sentence.
- With China on mind, Krishna heads to Vietnam - Sep 13, 2011
- Vietnamese airliner hosts mid-air bikini pageant - Aug 09, 2012
- Vietnam, India mark 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations - Jan 05, 2012
- Vietnamese man opens plane's emergency exit on runway - Nov 07, 2011
- Spain to help fund metro in Vietnam - Dec 16, 2009
- Jet Airways signs MOU with Vietnam Airlines - Oct 12, 2011
- Etihad Airways to fly daily to Vietnam - Jul 22, 2012
- Fast food fuelling diabetes epidemic in Asia: Experts - Jul 09, 2010
- Russia to lend Vietnam $8 bn for first n-plant - Nov 24, 2011
- Vietnamese man to be freed soon from his 90-kilo tumor - Jan 05, 2012
- Six bronze medals for India in Vovinam meet - Aug 03, 2011
- Energy ties with Vietnam as per international norms: India - Sep 15, 2011
- Vayalar Ravi undertakes two-day visit to Hanoi - Oct 21, 2010
- India-educated Vietnamese may get ASEAN's top job - Aug 11, 2012
- Shyam Nikil holds Salem A.R. Saleh, keeps joint lead - Aug 05, 2009
Tags: activists, amnesty international, asia pacific, blogger, bno, central highlands, chi minh city, crackdown, deputy director, environmental degradation, freedom of expression, government critics, ho chi minh, ho chi minh city, minh hoang, opposition group, right to freedom of expression, s central, subversion, vietnamese authorities