Report: Iraqi security forces foil Al-Qaeda plot to crash airliner into mosqueApril 15th, 2010 - 12:13 am ICT by BNO News
BAGHDAD (BNO NEWS) — Iraqi security forces have foiled an attempt by al-Qaeda to hijack a passenger plane and crash it into the Imam Ali Mosque, according to a news report on Wednesday.
Al Arabiya Television reported, citing a newspaper, that terrorists had planned to hijack a civilian aircraft after it took off from Al Najaf International Airport in southern Iraq. It would then have been crashed into the dome of the Imam Ali Mosque, the third holiest site for the estimated 200 million followers of the Shia branch of the Islam.
Official confirmation from Iraqi officials was not immediately available.
The alleged plot would have been similar to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States. Suspected al-Qaeda terrorists hijacked a total of four airliners, crashing two of them in the World Trade Center in New York City and a third into the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. The fourth airliner crashed in Stonycreek Township, Pennsylvania. Nearly 3,000 people were killed in the attack.
- Fighter jets intercept Detroit-bound plane after passengers 'make out' in bathroom - Sep 12, 2011
- Obama: Al-Qaeda leader Bin Laden killed in Pakistan - May 02, 2011
- Ninth 9/11 anniversary marked by controversy as relatives gather - Sep 11, 2010
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Osama bin Laden Facebook page draws many 'fans' - Apr 19, 2010
- Osama Bin Laden grossly underestimated U.S. retaliation to 9/11: Ex-associate - Apr 28, 2010
- US will "never" be "at war with Islam": Obama - Sep 12, 2010
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- New York Governor Paterson to meet with 'Ground Zero mosque' developers to discuss possible relocation - Aug 18, 2010
- 9/11-Style Plot Foiled In Iraq - Apr 17, 2010
- Two Shia clerics killed in Iraq drive-by shooting - Sep 01, 2012
- Osama tried to watch 9/11 bombings live on TV - Apr 16, 2010
- 9/11 Pakistani mastermind, 4 others sent for trial - Apr 05, 2012
- Obama to mark 9/11 at Pentagon - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: airliner, airliners, al arabiya, al arabiya television, al qaeda, bno, civilian aircraft, followers, imam ali mosque, iraqi officials, iraqi security, mosque baghdad, najaf, news report, passenger plane, security forces, september 11 2001, september 11 2001 terrorist attacks, southern iraq, stonycreek township