Report: Al-Qaeda sent operatives to Germany, BritainNovember 17th, 2010 - 9:33 pm ICT by BNO News
BERLIN (BNO NEWS) — Germany on Wednesday said the country’s security agencies have evidence that two to four potential terrorists are planning to attack Germany and the UK within weeks, officials and media reports said.
Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said that police and other authorities would step up security at airports and railway stations because “there is reason for concern, but not for hysteria.”
The minister announced the extra security “until further notice” after a tip-off from an unnamed country, but German daily Tagesspiegel identified the source as the U.S. intelligence services.
“Measures will be taken throughout Germany at points that we believe are particularly worth of protection,” De Maiziere told a news conference in Berlin. He added that Germany’s Federal Criminal Office has confirmed that people tied to Islamic militants are plotting to attack Germany.
“The indications are concrete, but it can’t be a provocation and it can’t push us to completely change our public life,” De Maiziere said.
The U.S. told Germany a week ago that the attackers were due to arrive in Germany on November 22, German news agency DPA reported, quoting the Tagesspiegel daily.
According to DPA, the mastermind behind the attack is Mohammed Ilyas Kashmiri, a leading al-Qaeda Pakistani figure from Pakistan, and he and other operatives were to travel via India and the United Arab Emirates.
- Suspicious device found at German airport - Nov 17, 2010
- Suspicious device at Namibia airport was part of U.S. security test - Nov 19, 2010
- Report: Al-Qaeda terrorists planning to attack the German parliament - Nov 21, 2010
- 'US manufactured fake bomb found on German flight was to test airport security' - Nov 20, 2010
- Berlin hunts suspected would-be suicide bombers - Nov 21, 2010
- Eight German al-Qaeda terrorists killed in US drone attack in Pakistan - Oct 05, 2010
- Germany says 'serious attacks planned' - Nov 18, 2010
- Germany abolishes military conscription - Mar 25, 2011
- Mumbai-style attackers may target German Parliament - Nov 21, 2010
- Mumbai-style terror attack cells 'already in Britain', claims Qaeda commander - Oct 05, 2010
- Headley worked with FBI for capture of Mumbai mastermind - Jun 01, 2011
- Ten suspected terrorists arrested in Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany - Nov 23, 2010
- UK joins US in warning tourists against Mumbai-type terror attacks in Europe - Oct 04, 2010
- Ilyas Kashmiri killed in US drone strike, HuJi confirms death - Jun 04, 2011
- US offers 5-mn-dollar reward for information on HUJI commander Ilyas Kashmiri - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,