Remembering The Kennedys: JFK Jr. And Carolyn, On Their 10th Death AnniversaryJuly 17th, 2009 - 6:32 pm ICT by GD
July 16, 2009, marked ten years since the day, the single engine plane carrying John F. Kennedy Jr., his wife Carolyn Bassette Kennedy and Carolyn’s sister Lauren Bassette had plunged in to the Atlantic Ocean. Even though years in the form of a decade has passed, the terrible tragedy remains just as raw and gnawing. JFK Jr., the true emblem of the legacy of his larger than life parents, a very endearing and popular public figure and his equally stunning and chic wife still make for a very hard to forget couple.
JFK Jr. had a penchant for flying and had been known to be an established pilot; his hobby suited his persona.The 33 year old Carolyn Bassette was more of a private person in comparison to her exuberant spouse. One thing she however preferred was flying with her husband. On the day of the fateful journey, the three, the Kennedy couple and Carolyn’s 34 year old sister Lauren had boarded the Piper Saratoga light aircraft at the Essex County Airport in Caldwell, New Jersey. It was piloted by JFK Jr. They were headed to attend the wedding of Kennedy’s cousin Rory, in Hyannis, Massachusetts, after dropping off Lauren Bassette on Martha’s Vineyard.
The flight departed at 8:38 p.m; his last recorded words were “Five three November to two two, thanks” which he told the tower.
The wreck’s remains were discovered four days later and the cause of the accident has never been determined till date, though NTSB concluded that Kennedy’s relative inexperience in flying under poor visibility at nightfall coupled with his recently recovered fractured leg may have been the reasons that took the plane and its passengers down.
- JFK Jr smoked dope, liked tantric sex, reveals ex - Mar 04, 2011
- Swift, Kennedy eloping won't surprise friends - Aug 29, 2012
- Katie recreates heartbreaking moments as Jackie Kennedy - Aug 18, 2010
- NTSB investigating wing clipping incident at New York's JFK airport - Apr 13, 2011
- Ted Kennedy dies of brain cancer aged 77 (Part-II) - Aug 26, 2009
- Kennedy curse: A continual misfortune? - Aug 26, 2009
- Taylor Swift seen kisisng Conor Kennedy - Aug 19, 2012
- "Kennedy Curse" Strikes Again - Aug 26, 2009
- Small plane lands on southern California freeway, no injuries - Mar 25, 2010
- Two Indian brothers killed in US plane crash - Jul 16, 2010
- Edward Kennedy, liberal lion, scion of American royalty (Obituary) - Aug 26, 2009
- JetBlue captain goes berserk on flight, subdued by passengers - Mar 29, 2012
- MiG crashes due to pilots' inexperience: IAF chief - Oct 08, 2011
- Mark Harmon ranked America's favorite TV personality - Jan 17, 2011
- Asiana Airlines pilot took out life insurance policies month before crash - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: caldwell new jersey, carolyn bassette kennedy, death anniversary, engine plane, essex county, fateful journey, fractured leg, hyannis massachusetts, jfk jr, john f kennedy jr, kennedys, larger than life, light aircraft, ntsb, piper saratoga, poor visibility, private person, relative inexperience, sister lauren, wife carolyn