Rare zebra-donkey hybrid born in Xiamen Haicang ZooJuly 6th, 2011 - 11:31 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Beijing, July 6 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A rare creature made of half-donkey and half-zebra has been born in China. The animal was born last Sunday at a zoo which is located in the Southeast of the country. The animal shares some of the physical characteristics of both a zebra and a donkey.
The animal was born when the female zebra was crossed by a male donkey which also lived in the same enclosure. The animal was born with some complications but officials later announced that the animal is in good health. The complication had to do with the size of the new creature. The animal weighed 65 pounds when it was born and the public has been given the opportunity to take a look at the animal.
The British newspaper The Telegraph reported that veterinary officers at the zoo worked on the zebra before it was able to give birth to the baby. After sometime, the animal and its offspring were released to graze in the fields of the zoo. Officials who spoke about the creature said there seems to be no health complications for the offspring.
The name for the new creature is a subject of debate with names like zonkey, zebonkey, zebrinny, zebrula, zebrass and zedonk are all being bundled around.
- Debate rages over judges who fall asleep on the job (The Funny Side) - Aug 24, 2012
- Cuban zoo reports birth of odd animal - Jul 08, 2011
- No anthrax at Delhi zoo: Officials - May 02, 2012
- Orissa zoo launches special summer menu for animals - May 16, 2011
- Zoo seeks match for female zebras - Mar 01, 2012
- Sitarist Anoushka Shankar asks people to boycott zoos - May 05, 2011
- Hearst zebras killed by angry neighbors - Jan 13, 2011
- Five tiger cubs die in Odisha's Nandankanan zoo - Nov 18, 2011
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- Wolves kill zoo keeper at Swedish zoo - Jun 18, 2012
- Polar bear dies from zebra virus - Aug 18, 2012
- Delhi Zoo becomes virtual island, agencies pass buck - Sep 11, 2011
- Indian peacekeepers treat 15,000 animals in South Sudan - May 31, 2012
- Indian zoos to be graded on performance - Apr 10, 2012
- Peacock escapes from Central Park zoo - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: beijing, china, good health, health complications, hybrid, last sunday, male donkey, new creature, offspring, physical characteristics, rare creature, telegraph, veterinary officers, zebra, zebrula, zoo officials