Rare US gold coins found in a garden in LondonOctober 19th, 2010 - 11:17 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Oct 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Two residents in London may be laughing all the way to the bank soon if the gold coins they accidentally found in their garden are not claimed by anyone by next spring.
The residents who were being helped by friends in their garden in an undisclosed location in Hackney in east London found an 80 rare gold minted coins and experts believe the coins could be worth six figures.
To avoid false claims, the location of the find was not announced. The find has been described as unique by experts who say the coins were mostly minted in Philadelphia and San Francisco between the periods of 1854 to 1913.
The coins are large and they weigh as much as 33 grams each.
If the original owner of the coins fails to turn up after the stipulated time, the coins will be sold and the proceeds will be shared equally between the landowner and those who found it. The owner of the land and the coin finders will undoubtedly be praying that nobody comes up before the stipulated time.
The British Museum has expressed interest in purchasing the coins. The coins is now the property of the Crown and will decide who it will sell the coins to in due time.
- Rare US Gold Coins Found In London Garden - Oct 19, 2010
- Rare silver coins from 11th century discovered in England - Sep 26, 2009
- Unique medieval coin found in Gloucester - Feb 16, 2012
- 2,000-year-old gold coin found in Israel - Aug 12, 2010
- Silver coins from Raj days unearthed in Tripura - Aug 15, 2011
- More rare gold coins recovered in Andhra village - Oct 29, 2011
- 700 year-old gold coins found in Israel - Jul 09, 2012
- Cheer for buyers as gold prices dip on Akshaya Tritiya (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- China's largest gold coin auctioned for $1.18 mn - May 16, 2011
- Rare Roman Coins Discovered By Amateur - Jul 12, 2010
- Sarah Legg overjoyed to get rare 50p coin - Dec 16, 2010
- Roman bronze helmet sells for $3.6 mn - Oct 08, 2010
- RBI to probe illegal coins circulated in Mumbai markets - Jan 24, 2012
- London gets a gold vending machine - Jul 02, 2011
- 52,000 Roman coins discovered in England - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: british museum, due time, east london, gold coins, hackney, laughing all the way, laughing all the way to the bank, london london, periods, philadelphia, proceeds, san francisco, six figures, undisclosed location