Rare pink diamond found in WAFebruary 23rd, 2012 - 10:19 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Sydney, Feb 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An extremely rare pink diamond has been unearned in Australia. Mining giants Rio Tinto announced the find calling the precious stone “remarkable.”
The Argyle Mine located in East Kimberley where the diamond was found has been a common place for the unearthing of pink diamonds. In fact about 90 percent of all pink diamonds ever found were found at the mine.
In a statement released by Rio Tinto shortly after the find of the diamond, the company said the 12.76 carat stone will be called The Argyle Pink Jubilee.
Argyle pink diamonds manager Josephine Johnson revealed the mine’s excitement about the find. The company is also excited about the interest that the diamond has generated. She said that, “A diamond of this calibre is unprecedented - it has taken 26 years of Argyle production to unearth this stone and we may never see one like this again… “The individual who gets to wear this remarkable pink diamond will be incredibly lucky indeed.”
It is not likely that anyone will get to wear the diamond because large diamonds often end up in renowned museums around the world. Some of them have also been given in the past as gift to royals around the world.
In the rare case that it will go for auction, the renowned auction house Christie’s will likely offer it for sale. In almost 250 years of its history, Christie’s has only sold 18 polished pink diamonds which is more than 10 carats.
- Big pink diamond found, to be cut as single stone - Feb 21, 2012
- World's most expensive Barbie auctioned for $302K! - Oct 21, 2010
- Rare Golconda diamonds on sale at Christie's - Apr 02, 2011
- World's most expensive Barbie up for grabs at $500K - Oct 07, 2010
- Massive diamond unearthed from Lesotho mine - Sep 09, 2010
- Yellow 'Sun-Drop' diamond auctioned for $12.36 million - Nov 16, 2011
- Rare pink diamond could fetch up to $38 million at auction - Oct 07, 2010
- Pink Diamond Auction Breaks World Record - Nov 17, 2010
- Rare pink diamond sold for 29 million pounds - Nov 17, 2010
- Christie's to auction "giant pearl" - Mar 30, 2011
- Pink diamond sells for record 29 mn pounds - Nov 17, 2010
- Duchess' missing jewellery worth $156,000 sold for peanuts - Jun 18, 2012
- Botswana world's top diamond producer in 2010 - Aug 04, 2011
- Sotheby's Auction Offers Rare Pink $38M Diamond - Oct 06, 2010
- Zimbabwe resumes sale of controversial Chiadzwa diamonds - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: argyle mine, auction house, australia, calibre, carat stone, carats, christie, east kimberley, excitement, giants, josephine, jubilee, pink diamond, pink diamonds, precious stone, rare case, renowned museums, rio tinto, sydney