Ramon Magsaysay Award 2008 will be given to Dr Therdchai JivacateAugust 2nd, 2008 - 1:18 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
The Ramon Magsaysay Award 2008 , is won by Therdchai Jivacate (a Thai), secretary-general of the Prostheses Foundation. The countries which were part of the achievement the Philippines, India, Indonesia, Japan,Sri Lanka and Thailand. It is considered as an Asia’s Nobel Prize.
Ramon Magsaysay Award begin in the year 1957 by the trustees based in New York City but the prize was created to commemorate Ramon Magsaysay, the late president of the Philippines. The award gained its popularity after the Filipino President died in a plane crash. The award ceremony will be held in Manila , Aug 31.
The 2008 award given do Dr Therdchai Jivacate for his efforts to develop artificial legs for poor disabled people. The 68 year old veteran, who had set up a foundation in 1991 ,under the the royal patronage of the late Princess Mother and the late Princess Galyani Vadhana , in order to develop and provide free artificial legs for the rural disabled people within the country. He was named the Best Rural Doctor for 1993 by the National Medical Association.
As compared to the oversea’s rate for the artificial leg cost 11,000 baht whereas, the Dr’s artificial legs costs 2,500 baht. Apart from doing the Noble work , Dr Therdchai also have an educational programme in ChiangMai at Maharaj Hospita, for the children suffering from chronic diseases.
- Indian wins Ramon Magasaysay Award - Jul 26, 2012
- Indians Nileema Mishra, Harish Hande win Magsaysay Award (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Bangladeshi wins Magsaysay award - Aug 03, 2010
- Indians Harish Hande, Nileema Mishra win Magsaysay Award - Jul 27, 2011
- Japan's anti-nuclear activist wins Ramon Magsaysay Award - Aug 02, 2010
- Self respect, not charity is our belief: Magsaysay winner - Jul 26, 2012
- Taiwanese vegetable vendor is among Asia's Nobel winners - Jul 26, 2012
- Magsaysay award is celebration of an idea: Deep Joshi - Aug 04, 2009
- Magsaysay winner spurns NREGS award - Feb 03, 2011
- Aruna Roy presented Lal Bahadur Shastri Award - Oct 01, 2010
- Sitaram Jindal Foundation announces India's biggest cash prize for humanitarian service - Feb 22, 2011
- Ela Bhatt conferred Japan's Niwano Peace Prize - May 13, 2010
- Iraqi nationals learn to make 'Jaipur Foot' - Sep 23, 2010
- Magsaysay Award for Indian social worker, Myanmar activist, Filipino environmentalist - Aug 03, 2009
- Abdul Sattar Edhi: the salve on Pakistan's wounds - Dec 04, 2011