Queen’s husband Prince Philip hospitalized due to infectionJune 5th, 2012 - 1:14 am ICT by BNO News
LONDON, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) — Queen Elizabeth II’s husband Prince Philip was taken to a hospital in London on Monday afternoon after developing a bladder infection, forcing him to miss the rest of the celebrations to mark the Queen’s diamond jubilee.
Buckingham Palace said the 90-year-old prince was taken from Windsor Castle to the private King Edward VII Hospital in London as a precautionary measure. “Prince Philip will remain in hospital under observation for a few days,” the palace said in a statement, adding that the bladder infection is being assessed and treated.
The health scare throws a shadow over celebrations for the Queen’s diamond jubilee. “[The prince] is, understandably, disappointed about missing this evening’s Diamond Jubilee Concert and tomorrow’s engagements,” the statement added. A palace spokesperson said the Queen will still go to the concert, which is being attended by some 12,000 people.
Prince Philip appeared to be in good health on Sunday when he accompanied the Queen on the royal barge which formed part of a flotilla on the River Thames. He and the Queen stood for most of the 80-minute journey which saw some 1,000 boats traveling 7 miles (11 kilometers) down the river.
In December 2011, Prince Philip was taken to Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire after experiencing chest pains. Following tests, he was found to have a blocked coronary artery and underwent a ‘minimally invasive’ procedure of coronary stenting. It was the most serious health scare yet for the prince, who is known to be active and robust for his age. He turns 91 on Sunday.
- Queen Elizabeth II visits Prince Philip in hospital - Jun 07, 2012
- Prince Philip taken to hospital - Aug 16, 2012
- Prince Philip hospitalised, misses jubilee concert - Jun 05, 2012
- Thousands cheer Queen's Diamond Jubilee river pageant - Jun 04, 2012
- Queen's diamond jubilee celebration kicks off - Jun 02, 2012
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth hosts diamond jubilee lunch - May 20, 2012
- British queen's 60-year crown gala connects to India with mega party (With Image) - Jun 04, 2012
- Abu Dhabi crown prince attends Elizabeth's diamond jubilee - May 19, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth's Christmas message to focus on family - Dec 25, 2011
- 10 held during Queen Elizabeth's jubilee programme - Jun 04, 2012
- At 86, Queen works more than British MPs - Jun 03, 2012
- Cheryl Cole flirted with Prince Harry? - Jun 17, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth gets bleeding nose - Apr 15, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth takes style tips from Kate - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: bladder infection, bno, buckingham palace, coronary stenting, diamond jubilee, edward vii hospital, health scare, invasive procedure, jubilee concert, king edward vii, king edward vii hospital, minute journey, old prince, precautionary measure, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, river thames, royal barge, windsor castle