Queen Elizabeth to address the United Nations in JulyJanuary 25th, 2010 - 9:49 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Jan 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The United Nations announced that Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II is all set to address the UN General Assembly. She will visit the UN office in July, and address the Assembly, after more than 50 years. The 83-year-old ruler will culminate a state visit to Canada, with the trip to New York on the 6th of July. Her husband Prince Phillip would accompany her.
Prior to this, the Queen has just addressed the United Nations General Assembly, just once in 1957. She would address the Assembly as she is the head of the states of United Kingdom and more than a dozen other states like, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, the Solomon Islands and Tuvalu.
Besides this, she is also the head of the Commonwealth. It is basically an association of 54 countries, which are primarily, former British colonies.
Elizabeth married the Duke of Edinburg on 20th November 1947. The royal couple are the parents of four children, and have eight grandchildren as well. The royal couple are actually second cousins, once removed through the King Christian IX of Denmark and third cousins through Queen Victoria.
- Queen Elizabeth II to address the U.N. General Assembly in July - Jan 23, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth To Address UN General Assembly On July 6 - Jan 25, 2010
- U.S. Secretary of State Clinton wishes Queen Elizabeth II a happy birthday - Jun 04, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth II takes the train to Sandringham - Dec 21, 2009
- Gender bias in succession to British throne to end - Oct 28, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth II takes the train - Dec 21, 2009
- Continent-wise countries at the Delhi Commonwealth Games - Oct 03, 2010
- Africa has highest, Americas the least countries at CWG (Lead) - Oct 03, 2010
- Factfile on Commonwealth countries - Sep 02, 2010
- EU spends millions on office in Barbados - Jul 30, 2012
- St Vincent and the Grenadines celebrates its Indian heritage - Jun 02, 2012
- 850 athletes and officials to arrive today to participate Delhi CW Games - Sep 28, 2010
- Around 1250 athletes to check into CWG Games Village today - Sep 30, 2010
- Sheila Dikshit extends deadline for completion of work at CWG Village - Sep 28, 2010
- UAE establishes diplomatic ties with Saint Kitts and Nevis - Jun 18, 2010
Tags: antigua and barbuda, dozen other states, duke of edinburg, elizabeth ii, former british colonies, grandchildren, papua new guinea, prince phillip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, queen victoria, royal couple, ruler, saint kitts and nevis, saint vincent and the grenadines, second cousins, solomon islands, tuvalu, un general assembly, united nations general assembly