Qantas baggage handlers strikeMarch 30th, 2009 - 6:29 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Today there was a strike by the Qantas baggage handlers which cause a delay in the airport, with both domestic and international passengers inconvenienced, the airline said.
Baggage handlers walked off the job for four hours at Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth airports in protest at moves by the company to outsource work to contractors.
The workers refused to unload planes that landed while they were taking industrial action, with some passengers leaving their luggage at the airport to be forwarded by Qantas later.
‘Clearly this dispute is causing a lot of financial hurt to the airline and to our passengers,’ Qantas spokesman David Epstein told Sky News.
Transport Workers Union spokesman Hughie Williams said the strike was over Qantas’ decision to outsource work to a cheaper company.
‘We have no choice but to do this if we’re going to look after our members,’ Mr Williams said.
Qantas said domestic services were worst affected but international flights in Sydney and Brisbane were also impacted.
- No end in sight to Qantas' flight break down woes - Nov 30, 2010
- Power cut hits London's Gatwick airport - Mar 10, 2012
- Qantas plane forced to return after bird strike - Nov 17, 2010
- One held after small blast on Miami airport tarmac - Dec 29, 2010
- Qantas Airplane Hit By Break Snag At Melbourne - Nov 30, 2010
- Another Qantas plane makes emergency landing - Nov 13, 2010
- Qantas 747 forced to return to Bangkok International Airport after facing engine problems - Jan 26, 2011
- Qantas to cut 500 jobs - May 21, 2012
- Now, Qantas 747 forced to return back to Sydney following electrical system problem - Nov 15, 2010
- Cheetah delays Qantas jet's take-off - Dec 08, 2010
- Airline staff held for passenger's missing money - Nov 09, 2011
- Baggage woes delay Air India passengers at T3 - Nov 12, 2010
- Qantas' woes continue, jet returns to Sydney - Nov 15, 2010
- Turkish firm investing over $100 mn on Mumbai, Delhi airports - Jan 30, 2011
- Security lapse triggers chaos at Sydney airport - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: adelaide, airline, airports, baggage handlers, brisbane, david epstein, hughie, international flights, international passengers, job, luggage, news transport, perth, planes, protest, qantas, sky news, spokesman, sydney, transport workers union