Princess Diana’s family to sell items for auctionMarch 31st, 2010 - 10:12 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
March 31, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): Family of late Princess Diana will be selling items of her childhood home in central England at an auction in Christies. The items, which include an important Old Master painting by Peter Paul Rubens, come from Althorp, the family’s historic residence in London. Althorp, part of a 14,000 acre country estate, is currently occupied by Diana’s 45-year-old brother Charles, the 9th Earl Spencer, and is undergoing a renovation and restoration project. Its trustees say the sales will help it “thrive for generations to come”.
Diana, who died in a her car crash in Paris in august 1997 along with her boyfriend Dodi Al-Fayed and their chauffer while they were being chased by paparazzi, is buried in the grounds of Althrop. There is also an exhibition about her life at the house.
The sale will include Rubens’ “A Commander Being Armed for Battle “, which is expected to raise up to twelve million pounds and it is thought to depict Charles the fifth, the 16th century Holy Roman Emperor and the family’s collection of 19th century carriages, which includes one used at the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902.
In addition to these, there will be an attic sale of items from Althrop, finding art and even coachmen’s uniforms and butler’s trays.
Orlando Rock, director of the collections department at Christie’s, said the sales had been “carefully curated to ensure that the historic integrity of the 18th century collections at Althorp remain intact”.
The auctions will take place at Christie’s in London on July 6 and 8, with details of another yet to be announced.
- Princess Diana's Relatives Selling Significant Historical Items For An Auction - Apr 03, 2010
- Princess Diana's ancestral home's artworks to be auctioned - Mar 31, 2010
- Princess Diana's brother to sell family heirloom - Mar 30, 2010
- Di's brother to sell off family treasure - Mar 30, 2010
- Princess Diana's Ancestral Home To Auction Some Belongings - Mar 31, 2010
- Rare Indian, Asian art at Christie's sale (With Images) - Mar 15, 2012
- Princess Diana's Family Treasures To Go On Auction - Apr 03, 2010
- Taylor's pearl fetches record money - Dec 14, 2011
- Auction houses picking on Indian heritage - Sep 29, 2011
- 2,000-year-old lamp sells for 445,000 pounds - Jan 22, 2011
- Christie's to auction "giant pearl" - Mar 30, 2011
- Collection of classical Indian, Asian art creates record - Mar 21, 2012
- Colonial era family silver set for auction (With images) - Aug 10, 2012
- 150-year-old rare photos from Dalhousie collection on sale - Sep 24, 2011
- Painting stolen by Nazis recovered, up for sale - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: 9th earl spencer, acre country estate, al fayed, althrop, auction march, boyfriend dodi, brother charles, car crash, charles the fifth, childhood home, coachmen, collections department, finding art, holy roman emperor, king edward vii, paris in august, pen men, peter paul rubens, princess diana, residence in london