Princess Diana’s dress fetches $276,000 at auctionJune 9th, 2010 - 7:22 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Jun 9 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The engagement gown worn by Princess Diana after her engagement with Prince Charles in 1981, has been auctioned for $192,000. The amount is four times of what it was expected to fetch at the auction.
Elizabeth and David Emanuel had designed the gown for the late Princess. The gown had a plunging neckline. The black taffeta gown was the star attraction at the auction. It was bought by a fashion museum in Chile. The auction took place in London. Kerry Taylor Auctions organized the auction.
Princess Diana was just 19 years old, when she wore the dress. She was then known as Lady Diana Spencer, and she wore the dress when she was attending an event with her husband-to-be, Charles. Photographs of Diana wearing that dress gave her instant fame, as she was certainly the most beautiful member of the British royal family.
The designers of the dress had access to the dress again, when the princess later returned the dress to be reworked on, because of weight loss. The designers made another dress and kept the first one.
Elizabeth said about the dress that, “We hadn’t considered the fact that when Diana bent over - as she would have to do when getting out of the car - she would show quite a lot of cleavage. We just thought she looked fabulous.””
- Sale of Princess Diana's Black Dress Fetches $276,000 - Jun 10, 2010
- Princess Di's dress fetches record price at auction - Jun 09, 2010
- Diana's gowns to be displayed at British palace - Mar 10, 2012
- Iconic Diana Dress Sold At $276000 - Jun 09, 2010
- Princess Diana's wedding dress voted the best ever - Mar 29, 2011
- Winehouse's 'Back To Black' dress on auction - Nov 10, 2011
- Princess Diana's dress fetches $816,000 - Jun 26, 2011
- Princess Diana's wedding dress on display - Oct 28, 2011
- Liz Hurley bedazzles guests at Elton John's party in plunging dress - Oct 07, 2010
- Kate Middleton best dressed bride, say Indian designers - Apr 29, 2011
- SAG Awards 2011 Red Carpet Dominated By Plunging Neckline - Jan 31, 2011
- Was Kate's wedding gown inspired by Grace Kelly's nuptial dress? - Apr 30, 2011
- Di's wedding day tiara left her with splitting headache - May 18, 2010
- Princess Daina's black dress to be auctioned Tuesday - Jun 07, 2010
- Women make style statements with hats at royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: 19 years, 192, auction, british royal family, cleavage, david emanuel, designers, fame, fashion museum, hadn, kerry taylor, lady diana spencer, photographs, place in london, plunging neckline, prince charles, princess diana, star attraction, taffeta, weight loss