Preston Castle, the former Preston School of IndustryJune 6th, 2009 - 4:09 pm ICT by GD
Built in the late 1890s, the former Preston School of Industry looms lonely atop a hill. Locally known as the Preston Castle, the sandstone Romanesque Revival was then built as a reform school. In the 1890s, this castle housed more than a thousand incorrigible and violent orphans. Until the late 1960s they learned the art of farming, carpentry and auto repair in the Preston Castle. Merle Haggard and Rory Calhoun, the cowboy star of the 50s, are two of the well known products of the Preston Castle.
To get to the front doors of the castle one has to drive uphill for some time. The blue sky dotted randomly by shapeless puffy clouds and the lush green hills of Mador County surround the whole location to evoke the feeling of forbidden pleasure. It is almost like he or she is entering some forbidden place where only the dead are allowed.
The first thing that catches the eyes upon reaching the gates of the castle are the elongated windows, some of which are boarded while others are caged. The castle is covered with towers and the turrets.
Recently, a murder mystery, “Engagement to Murder” was filmed in Preston Castle. The film was directed and produced by Caroline Taylor, a local, who grew up looking at the fading walls of the castle everyday of her life. About filming her first movies in the Preston Castle, Taylor says, “The cast had a great time filming in Preston Castle. It was exciting for them to wander around and try to find the perfect rooms to shoot in.”
- "Merle Haggard: Learning To Live With Myself" Chronicles A Life Of Struggle - Jul 22, 2010
- Macca to receive Kennedy Centre honour in White House - Sep 09, 2010
- Merle Haggard surprised to find Obama 'very humble' - Dec 29, 2010
- What Did Oprah Winfrey Do To Surpass Michelle Obama? - Dec 07, 2010
- Ex-Megachurch Pastor, Ted Haggard, To Commence A New Church - Jun 03, 2010
- Himachal hotel gets heritage status - Aug 23, 2012
- Hill forts in North Wales used to test how Iron Age people communicated - Mar 21, 2011
- Scaffolding removed from Leaning Tower of Pisa after 20 years - Apr 23, 2011
- Scientists say that building a sandcastle is no child's play - Aug 03, 2012
- Oprah, McCartney receive Kennedy Center Honours - Dec 07, 2010
- Hillary Clinton jokes about releasing her own WikiLeaks cable - Dec 06, 2010
- TV weatherman Robert William Batot shot in the chest with a crossbow - Jun 06, 2012
- Krishna opens $10 million Indian embassy complex in Beijing - Feb 08, 2012
- Nicklas Bendtner 'fairytale' romance with Danish royal ends - Feb 05, 2011
- Deepika and Imran Forbidden From Tweeting - Jun 16, 2010
Tags: 1890s, 1960s, auto repair, blue sky, caroline taylor, carpentry, castle taylor, cowboy star, farming, front doors, great time, mador, merle haggard, murder mystery, orphans, preston school of industry, puffy clouds, romanesque revival, rory calhoun, turrets