President Obama to donate $1.4 million of Nobel prize moneyMarch 12th, 2010 - 3:58 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) – President Barack Obama announced on Thursday that ten charities will be the recipients of his Nobel peace prize money, the White House informed.
President Obama was awarded, in a controversial decision, the 2009 Nobel prize and thus receiving the $1.4 million prize. He was the fourth U.S. President to receive such prestigious award.
These organizations do extraordinary work in the United States and abroad helping students, veterans and countless others in need,” said President Obama. “I’m proud to support their work.”
The charities selected are mainly student support organizations, except for a Haiti fund, an African support group and a housing charity.
The charities selected by President Obama are: Fisher House, the Clinton-Bush Haiti fund, College Summit, the Posse Foundation, the United Negro College Fund, the Hispanic Scholarship Fund, the Appalachian Leadership and Education Foundation, the Appalachian Leadership and Education Foundation, AfriCare and the Central Asia Institute.
- President Barack Obama Donates Nobel Prize Money To 10 Charities - Mar 14, 2010
- Obama donates Nobel Peace Prize money - Mar 12, 2010
- Barack and Michelle Obama double their income to $5.5m in 2009 - Apr 16, 2010
- Usher to be honoured for philanthropy - Oct 13, 2011
- Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo honored at Nobel peace prize ceremony - Dec 10, 2010
- Sean Penn's charity receives cash boost from Bill Clinton - Oct 09, 2010
- Obama touts plan for better math and science instruction - Feb 08, 2012
- Qatar offers a half-million dollar 'education Nobel' to Bangladesh - Nov 02, 2011
- Shakira to receive Harvard honour - Feb 17, 2011
- Sindh Assembly wants Pak Govt to recommend Bhatti's name for Nobel Prize - Mar 15, 2011
- Bangalore professor among six Infosys' Prize winners - Nov 16, 2011
- Four young Indian-American scientists honoured by Obama - Jul 24, 2012
- Deceased Steinmen to remain Nobel Laureate: Nobel foundation - Oct 04, 2011
- Retired soccer player Roberto Baggio wins World Peace Award - Nov 10, 2010
- Shakira up for charity award - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: africare, appalachian, barack obama, bno, central asia institute, charities, controversial decision, education foundation, fisher, hispanic scholarship fund, negro college fund, nobel peace prize, nobel prize money, posse foundation, prestigious award, support group, support organizations, united negro college, united negro college fund, washington d c