President Obama says the loss of Polish President Kaczynski is ‘devastating’April 10th, 2010 - 8:15 pm ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) — President Obama on Saturday released the following statement after Polish President Lech Kaczynski, his wife, and other senior government figures were killed in a plane crash in western Russia.
“Today, I called Polish Prime Minister Tusk to express Michelle’s and my deepest condolences to the people of Poland on the tragic deaths this morning of President Lech Kaczynski, First Lady Maria Kaczynski, and all who were traveling with them to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Katyn massacre. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Kaczynski family, the loved ones of those killed in this tragic plane crash, and the Polish nation.
Today’s loss is devastating to Poland, to the United States, and to the world. President Kaczynski was a distinguished statesman who played a key role in the Solidarity movement, and he was widely admired in the United States as a leader dedicated to advancing freedom and human dignity. With him were many of Poland’s most distinguished civilian and military leaders who have helped to shape Poland’s inspiring democratic transformation. We join all the people of Poland in mourning their passing.
Today, there are heavy hearts across America. The United States cherishes its deep and abiding bonds with the people of Poland. Those bonds are represented in the strength of our alliance, the friendships among our people, and the extraordinary contributions of Polish-Americans who have helped to shape our nation.
It is a testament to the strength of the Polish people that those who were lost were travelling to commemorate a devastating massacre of World War II as the leaders of a strong, vibrant, and free Poland. That strength will ensure that Poland emerges from the depths of this unthinkable tragedy, and that the legacy of the leaders who died today will be a light that continues to guide Poland – and the world – in the direction of human progress.”
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh condoles Poland President's death - Apr 11, 2010
- Russia sends Poland files on presidential plane crash - Apr 07, 2011
- No changes in Russia-Poland relations after plane crash report - Aug 04, 2011
- Polish president and first lady among at least 96 dead in presidential plane crash in Russia - Apr 10, 2010
- UN expresses shock over Polish president's death - Apr 11, 2010
- Twin brother identifies body of Polish President Kaczynski - Apr 11, 2010
- Irish President McAleese mourns the death of Polish President Kaczynski - Apr 10, 2010
- President Barack Obama to attend funeral for Polish president Lech Kaczynski - Apr 14, 2010
- Statement by Israeli President Peres on the death of Polish President Lech Kaczynski - Apr 10, 2010
- Air crash: Polish, Russian investigators examining flight data recorders - Apr 11, 2010
- Prince Charles to attend Poland President Kaczynski's funeral - Apr 15, 2010
- Poland begins week of mourning after Russian air crash - Apr 11, 2010
- Passenger plane carrying ice hockey team crashes in western Russia, killing 43 - Sep 07, 2011
- EU flags at half-mast for Polish president - Apr 12, 2010
- Poland questions 300 in air crash probe - Sep 12, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,