President Obama declared a major disaster in OklahomaFebruary 26th, 2010 - 1:42 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) – President Barack Obama declared on Thursday that a major disaster exists in the State of Oklahoma and ordered Federal aid to supplement State and local recovery efforts.
The strong winter storm that hit Oklahoma during the period of December 24-25, 2009 affected a large part of the state.
After the President’s declaration, the counties of Canadian, Cleveland, Comanche, Cotton, Craig, Delaware, Garvin, Grady, Hughes, Jackson, Jefferson, Kay, Lincoln, Love, McClain, Muskogee, Noble, Nowata, Okfuskee, Okmulgee, Ottawa, Payne, Pontotoc, Pottawatomie, Rogers, Sequoyah, Stephens, Tillman, and Tulsa have federal funding available.
Eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities damaged by a severe winter storm are also entitled for the funding.
Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures statewide.
Assessments are still underway in several areas of the state. Furthermore, additional counties may be designated for federal assistance as well.
- President Barack Obama declares disaster in South Dakota - May 14, 2010
- President Obama declares major disaster exists in Iowa - Mar 03, 2010
- President Obama declares a major disaster in North Carolina - Feb 03, 2010
- President Obama declares a major disaster exists in New Jersey - Feb 06, 2010
- President Obama declares state of emergency in California - Mar 09, 2010
- President Obama declares major disaster in West Virginia - Mar 03, 2010
- President Obama declares major disaster in Pennsylvania - Apr 17, 2010
- President Obama declares major disaster in District of Columbia - Mar 25, 2010
- At least five killed, dozens injured after tornado outbreak in Oklahoma - May 11, 2010
- Tornadoes and severe storms in southern U.S. leave around 200 dead - Apr 28, 2011
- Three dead in US storms - Sep 08, 2012
- Oklahoma Police official faces disciplinary action for refusing to cover Islamic event - Feb 24, 2011
- President Declares Major Disaster For Alabama - Apr 29, 2009
- Obama signs disaster declaration for Puerto Rico in wake of Hurricane Irene - Aug 28, 2011
- Discovery Channel Slammed By Michael Jackson’s Coroner - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: barack obama, bno, comanche, emergency work, federal assistance, garvin, hazard mitigation, local governments, major disaster, mitigation measures, nowata, okmulgee, pottawatomie, private nonprofit organizations, recovery efforts, sequoyah, state of oklahoma, statewide assessments, tillman, winter storm