Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alertFebruary 2nd, 2012 - 10:09 pm ICT by BNO News
PORT VILA (BNO NEWS) — A powerful earthquake struck the Pacific Ocean near the island nation of Vanuatu on early Friday morning, seismologists said, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties. No tsunami warning was issued.
The 7.1-magnitude earthquake at 12.34 a.m. local time (1334 GMT Thursday) was centered about 115 kilometers (71 miles) west of Efate, the most populous island in Vanuatu and home to the nation’s capital of Port Vila. It struck about 10.1 kilometers (6.3 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to seismologists in Vanuatu.
Light to strong shaking could be felt on islands near the epicenter, police said, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties. The United States Geological Survey (USGS) measured the strength of the earthquake at 6.9 on the regional moment magnitude scale.
Tsunami experts said there was no threat of a destructive tsunami, and there were no reports of unusual waves on nearby islands. “Based on all available and historical data; a destructive tsunami is not expected within Vanuatu,” the Vanuatu Meteorology and Geo-Hazards Department said in an advisory.
Vanuatu is on the so-called ‘Pacific Ring of Fire’, an arc of fault lines circling the Pacific Basin that is prone to frequent and large earthquakes. Volcanic eruptions also occur frequently in the region.
In August 2011, two powerful earthquakes measuring 7.1 and 7.4 on the Richter scale struck about 63 kilometers (39 miles) south-southwest of Port-Vila. Tsunami waves of up to 1.05 meter (3.4 feet) were observed on the island of Efate, but there were no reports of damage.
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Powerful 7.5-magnitude earthquake hits off Vanuatu Islands, Port-Vila struck by small tsunami - Aug 10, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, east of Vanuatu - Jul 31, 2011
- Powerful 7.1-magnitude quake strikes near Vanuatu - USGS - May 10, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, no tsunami warning - Jan 29, 2012
- Strong quake hits deep underneath the South Pacific Ocean - Dec 28, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, southwest of Vanuatu - May 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off the Vanuatu Islands, no damage expected - Jan 09, 2011
- Tsunami waves observed after powerful Vanuatu quake, warnings canceled - Dec 25, 2010
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off eastern Indonesia, causing panic - Nov 14, 2011
- Damage reported after magnitude-7.6 earthquake hits Costa Rica - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: bno, fault lines, island nation, magnitude earthquake, moment magnitude scale, nearby islands, pacific basin, pacific ring of fire, populous island, port vila, powerful earthquakes, richter scale, ring of fire, seismologists, shallow earthquake, south southwest, tsunami warning, tsunami waves, united states geological, united states geological survey